1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New interview about Ultima Online.

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Coorhagen, Jun 25, 2018.

1. BigDaddyAz

BigDaddyAz Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Xandros,Azeroth,Anti-Hero,
    t2a stat lost pks helps with gold sink and gives them time to macro their toon back up:p

2. carolynn

carolynn Active Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Carolynn
    I've played since 97 and been pvping and pking since then. I think pks should be removed from the game as it serves 0 purpose aside from griefing the ones that are killed.

Instead of that give reward incentives to those who are in militia (more than what's currently in place) so that people who do champ/rda while in it have a higher chance or getting something.

I'd MUCH rather had 2x population than give 1% of the population the chance to grief others.

3. khajja

khajja Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Khajja, Dakhath, Bakhtosh, Bhurak, Jabberwock, Sinistre, [Werkt]
    Why have you been pking since 97 if it serves 0 purpose aside from griefing the ones that are killed?

4. carolynn

carolynn Active Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Carolynn
    I should rephrase what I said. I used to pk and now believe it is an unnecessary evil in this game.

5. khajja

khajja Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2014
    the nice thing about a sandbox is that there are many different activities to do and ways to play. It's easy to view the game (and really, we're talking about life and the world here) based only on your experience, without internalizing the experiences, hopes, and dreams of others.

I've played since '98 and been crafting since. I think crafting should be removed from the game as it serves 0 purpose aside from adding lag for the ones that pvp.

Instead of that give reward incentives to those who are in militia or pk so that crafting isn't necessary.

I'd MUCH rather have 2x the pvp population than let the 1% of the population (crafters) the chance to take up pvp bandwidth.

6. CFL

CFL Member

Aug 18, 2018
    CFL Rejects, Jack Daniels II
    Being a new player I can see both sides of the coin, but TBH most of the PK's I have had the misfortune of meeting on UOF have been really good. They kill me, rez me and be on their way maybe loot my gold but big deal really.

7. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Crafting is the only reason some of us even play the game khajja, running a vendor home, it's like our own little business in the game, and I'm not really sure why you think removing crafting would increase the PvP population? You were right in your first sentence, different activities and different ways to play, why exactly are you looking to remove one of them? They are what make the game great.

8. khajja

khajja Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2014
    *Facepalm*

TrustyPatchez likes this.
  9. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Ya I entirely fluffed that one.. missed the post above it..

10. Candylandman

Candylandman Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Candylandman, Robinurhood
    Generally speaking imo it's normally the people who quit to pks who aren't long term players anyways.. these are the type of people who if anything goes wrong they just quit. Pkers on the other hand are normally the people who stick around long term, they take breaks but always return down the road.

Yes pks may have deterred a lot of players back on osi "in the beginning" when the game was new but if you look at the charts Ultima player base kept growing and growing up until trammel came out (Renassiance) which stayed at a pretty steady pace for a few years then after AOS the population died and AOS ultimately killed Ultima Online.

So that fact that from 1997 to around 2000 it grew to it's highest numbers seemed pks didn't have that much effect on the game , it was only in early stages which alot of people had trouble connecting due to crappy internet , faulty servers and shitty computers that could have contributed to loss of players among other factors.

[​IMG]

Without Pks there is no risk vs reward, just reward and what fun is that? I think the only dumb thing is groups of pks hunting down pvmers who aren't equipped to fight back which is why I respect Blacklisted and Evilpoptart because at least they solo pk. Zergs are just dumb theres literally no challenge for 5 reds to roll up on 1 or 2 pvmers.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    StarLord87 likes this.
  11. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    (sideline note without reading everyones post)
    See Ultima Online from 2001-2002 that is the Era we've tried to capture and then add on to it. I've seen this graph before, and know when UO hit its peak and it's downfall after that. Everyone blames shit like Trammel etc but it wasn't that at all. It was a mixture of new additions that were not well thought out for all aspects of game play basically. Awesome info!

Candylandman and StarLord87 like this.
  12. halygon

halygon Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    Personally I still blame Trammel -- but not the introduction of PK free areas (ie care bear land). I felt at the time and still do that the split of the population to where the heavy interactions of many different personalities became non-existent really did a number on the long term sustainability of UO. Without the clashing of players and play styles, OSI had to keep swinging wide with mechanic changes that, yeah kept things interesting in the short term, but overall the excitement (magic) was gone.

The other more obvious reason of UO going downhill is that the technology was created in '97, which being dated alone has a huge impact on new players looking to get into an MMORPG. Why go to an old 2DI view game where I can go to a shiny 3D world for my latest hardware.

13. Candylandman

Oct 15, 2018

14. Candylandman

Oct 15, 2018
    Agreed, when they split the two worlds up and the pvmers & trammies went to the safe haven trammel people who pvped had a hard time finding people to kill which I could be wrong but I believe that's why factions was added? Or order and chaos my memory is is a little faded. I do know that when AOS came out it wasn't much longer after that the population took a huge drop and never came back from that. Imagine playing a game for a almost a decade one way and then the mechanics change dramatically.. new spells, new skills , everything became armor based and now you can have insurance and bot lose things. Plus other games were coming out so I believe AOS is what killed Ultima Online on the main servers. Way to many changes to quick rather then testing them first , getting community feedback and slowly implenting them. It made UO a completely different play style that no one really cared to play anymore.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  15. wkstrm

wkstrm Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Yeah, I Think Insurance and the "new item based" gameplay made a lot of those people I used to play with quit. Which in the end made me move to Another shard (still within OSI though) to find more people to play with. Drachenfelds which I used to play on became the "farming shard" for American Guilds that x-sharded there for PS's and so on.

AoS changed a lot and made things very different and splitting the population was, from my Point of view a bad descision. If I remember correctly you got more Resources/loot in Felucca compared to Trammel, since there was a risk involved.

That, and the fact that there were many newer games available built on more modern technique as you also said.

I even tried some of them but I never felt the same thrill as I did in UO and still to this day I can't say that any other MMO has felt as "live and dangerous" as UO does. And I Think the staff makes a very good job here!

Candylandman likes this.
  16. Candylandman

Oct 15, 2018
    Yep , If it isn't broke don't fix it.. EA big mistake was fixing something that wasn't broken.

wkstrm likes this.
  17. Todd Hiltz

Todd Hiltz Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Evasive Jackle DanceForMe Mr Pitt
    I am a solo player. I get pk'd all the time on my pvm characters. As frustrating that it may be, UO must have pker's! It's what makes UO so great(the risk reward).
    Without out the risk of losing your loot and gear the game would just become another Trammel based game. Everyone would be rich and it would destroy the economy.

StarLord87, Phrygian and Candylandman like this.
  18. Candylandman

Oct 15, 2018
    Nailed it, people would just be in dungeons all day semi afk farming rather then getting in and getting out always having to pay attention or die and lose their stuff. Pks are a must for this game or the economy is doomed. This is coming from someone who used to only pk and pvp and now I just pvm at the moment.

Todd Hiltz and wkstrm like this.
  19. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Yeah you could be right, it was most likely a mixture of things. I wonder where Runescape would fit on that graph

halygon likes this.
  20. wkstrm

wkstrm Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Hehe, that game is so ugly but still people play it like it was the hottest shit around! :)