1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Forever Battle System

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Carl, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Carl

Carl Guest

The Forever Battles System is a centralized system for creating, running and participating on PvP events. It currently supports: Capture the Flag, Free For All, Team Vs Team and The Battle of Wind

The Forever Battles System is used in conjunction with the Templates system. The Templates system allows you to create and store your own custom templates. These templates can be created and selected at any time but only become active when you are participating in an event that supports them

Currently the events that the template system supports are Capture the Flag, Free For All, Team Vs Team and the non-faction Battle of Wind.

Each battle has 3 states: Preparing/Queuing, Running and Ended.

- While in the Preparing phase, you can begin accepting invites to the battles. It will teleport you to the arena but you will be unable to hurt anyone or complete any objectives as the battle has yet to start.

- The Running phase is the actual game and lasts for the games specified time limit or until a game wide objective has been met.

- The Ended phase is the period following a game until it becomes active again. You are able to queue for an event during any of these three phases. However, queues will not pop until the Preparing or Running states.
    All events are announced shard wide to players. You may turn off these messages if these events do not interest you by typing [battles -> clicking the arrow beside the battle you are not interested in receiving messages from-> click the button beside overview -> click the options button -> click Unsubscribe
    Joining a battle is easy! When an event is active, type [battles -> click the arrow beside the category of battle you wish to join -> click the arrow beside the battle -> click Join Queue
    This will place you in the queue for the battle. When the battle enters its preparing or running state, a queue will pop for you and you must click the accept arrow to join

At this time, if the battle supports templates and you have an active template set, you will be provided the skills, stats and items associated with your template

There are also a multitude of statistics tracked in the battle. A scoreboard is presented to all participants in the battle once it has ended. If you participated in the battle at any time (regardless if you have left the battle or not), a scoreboard will be sent to you upon the battle's completion.
    After a battle, statistics are stored in your PvP profile.

To access the shards Battles statistics type [battles -> click the war button
    You can then click a button beside a players name to view their battle statistics. A scroll bar is at the top and appears as a red bar with arrows at each side. Click this arrow to scroll through all PvP Profiles. There are also many sorting options as well as player search located in the options button.
    There are also other goodies to find in the battles system, so get exploring! Only the pertinent options are explained here.

The Templates System - The templates system is access by typing [templates. You will initially have an empty list.

To generate your first template, press the options button and go to Create Template. Various error checking exists in the Create Template gump. This will ensure you enter proper stats and select 7 skills.

To create a template, enter a name and stats. The notes section is optional. Next, click the skills button to bring up the skill selection gump.

To select a skill, click on its name in the gump. Make sure you select 7 skills or the template will not be created. After you have selected 7 skills, click the okay button. If you do not click the okay button, the selected skills will not save.

After you have selected 7 skills and pressed the okay button, you may now create the template. Click the arrow in the Create Template gump to create the template. A new template will then appear in your template manager. Press Apply to select the template.

You may also edit already created templates by pressing the button beside the word Edit. The Edit gump operates in the same fashion as the Create Template gump.

You may also delete a template by clicking the X button in the upper right hand corner of the template. Templates are displayed 2 per page in your template manager.

To view all of your created gumps, click the arrows on the scroll bar at the top. The scroll bar is displayed as a red bar above the first template on each page of your template manager.

You can watch the video here.
    The Battle for Wind - The Battle of Wind is a new daily PvP event. In its most basic elements, it is a hot potato/keep away game. It consists of 4 teams, each named after one of the factions.

Each team starts in a different corner of wind. In each teams base is a magical brazier, that be attacked with a weapon equipped or cast on with fire based spells.

When a brazier has at least 1/10 hit points, it becomes captured by the attacking team.

The braziers themselves are not the main objective, but merely side objectives. The main objective is a crystal in the middle of Wind. There is a teleporter near each teams base to and from the center of Wind. This allows for easy access by each team to the opposing teams bases.
    The pick up the crystal, all you need to do is double click it. Double clicking the crystal will put it into your pack. You may double click the crystal in your backpack to drop it to the ground.

When you are holding a crystal, you cannot perform offensive actions nor can you teleport or cast wall spells.

While holding the crystals, you gain 1 point per 5 seconds for your team. The first team to an unspecified amount of points wins the battle. The more braziers your team controls, the faster your team will gain points per 5 seconds. Each brazier adds an extra point to your capture rate, so controlling a few braziers is key to winning the game in a timely fashion.

There are two flavours of The Battle of Wind. There is a
    non-faction version as well as a faction version. The non-faction version will be held at the staff's leisure, much like CTFs are currently held.

The faction version on the other hand, will automatically be held once per day at a currently undesignated time. This battle will require participants to be in a faction. Teams will be balanced based on the second highest teams current capacity + 2. This means that the highest team in the event can never have more than 2 extra players on their team when compared to the team with the second highest capacity. The event was balanced in this manner so that there could at least be a viable fight between two factions at all times.

The winning faction of the faction version of the Battle of Wind will be allowed access to a new dungeon until the next faction version of the Battle of Wind takes place. The new dungeon can be access via a portal in your factions base. The dungeon is unique in the sense that it will have scripted events and encounters...as well as fantastic rewards/rares! Riches and glory to the conquering faction!!!

CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO SEE A START/END EXAMPLE OF THE BATTLE SYSTEM AND EXAMPLE OF BATTLE FOR WIND IN ACTION

Big thank you to Gore for helping to create this event!

Click here to see Start / End Example of BoW

Click here to see Battle for Wind in Action

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    7 people like this.
  2. parsnip

parsnip Grandmaster

Jul 11, 2013
    Sweet Potato Jesus that sounds awesome :cool:

3. Nihilism

Nihilism Grandmaster

Aug 28, 2013
    It's fun. did a lot of testing. only briefly tested the template selections, but loved it.

4. Lexington

Lexington Grandmaster

Feb 20, 2013
    is this live?

5. Carl

Carl Guest

Not yet will be soon!

6. Gore

Gore Adept

Jan 25, 2013
    niceeeeeeeee

7. Salsa

Salsa Grandmaster

Jan 23, 2013
    Looks awesome, nice job.

8. greebo

greebo Apprentice

Feb 26, 2014
    was hella fun. But fact is I was clueless and choosing my skills and having to reprogram razer 90% of the time.

Plus I made a dummy name, which isnt my acct or char name.. so if there was trophies on reg server, i doubt ill get anything.

9. Nurayia

Nurayia Expert

Feb 17, 2014
    Sweet stuff. So you can participate even if you don't have a fully developed char yet via templates? Very nice.

10. Ddlywhisper

Ddlywhisper Expert

Dec 25, 2013
    Things I hated the most about this was the freakin bar was in my line of sight at all times and the respawn after death did not immediately put me back in battle mode. Also after battle was over the bars stayed on screen! Urrrrgh!

11. Staff

Staff Young Player Help

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean about bars? Do you mean the message I was sending? You can click those off by right clicking them.

12. submarine

submarine Neophyte

Mar 8, 2013
    i tried right clicking them the whole time but they stayed

13. besttherewas

besttherewas Grandmaster

Nov 23, 2013
    Not to be a dick (but you still are), but this wont help factions. Main pvp is red v blue, should listen to the many good ideas suggested instead of a bias blue player that either sits in the pits or ganks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. Ddlywhisper

Ddlywhisper Expert

Dec 25, 2013
    It was the gumps for the battle and template. I tried to close them but the best it would let me do was minimize them to a bar. I tried to right, left, everything click on those bars and they would not drop. Plus, they stayed on my screen after the battle was over and I had went to Brit.

Oh another thing that was annoying was the colors of the purple and dark blue player robes for battle. They are so similar that it was hard to tell who was in which faction. I normally don't play factions so I dunno if this is a problem or not for them but for the battle it made it harder to figure out who to target.

15. Nihilism

Nihilism Grandmaster

Aug 28, 2013
    This won't be an issue. In most of the tests, opposing players were orange, and will be upon release. Thus enabling fields etc to work as they should. Yeah, it's a really close color, but again, as people will be orange, it won't be an issue. :)

16. Staff

Staff Young Player Help

Feb 11, 2013
    Can you describe the gump to me? What did it say in it exactly? I can't fix the problem if you don't provide more of a description so I know exactly which gump(s) are having issues.

17. Staff

Staff Young Player Help

Feb 11, 2013
    The event has dual purposes. It is both a faction and normal event. I guess we will see how things turn out when the hottest dungeon on the shard is only available to people in factions.

18. Ddlywhisper

Ddlywhisper Expert

Dec 25, 2013

These gumps! They can be minimized into BARS across the screen..... They are no moveable at all!

View attachment 2402

View attachment 2401

19. besttherewas

besttherewas Grandmaster

Nov 23, 2013
    Factions is just a gank fest. The main pvp on UOF involves red v blues, except this is spoiled by severe statloss everywhere but bucs.

I know you all hate POWER, but they have had some great ideas combining pvm/pvp. Those guys actually fight as well, as opposed to someone like gore who hides in the pits on a blue all day scared to lose his e-peen.

20. Nurayia

Nurayia Expert

Feb 17, 2014
    yeah, please fix the minimized gump (first screen when you type [battles and minimize) to be movable.
    > the text colors of @b messages are really hard to read in the journal (seen Minax and Shadowlord colors).
    > you get all types of potions exept heal potions. Working as intended?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014