1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Contracts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by eppy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden
    I guess that depends on your perspective.. there are many things that I think could be done better with Monster Contracts but having one, actually gives you some motivation to get out and hunt, if just making gold isn't your thing.. Most of the mobs give a decent gold yield, depending on your template, many of them are found in custom dungeons, which give unique items which could be interesting if they dropped, and ultimately if you do get a good reward, you are going to be pretty happy... I'd say as is Monster Contracts are worth it if you have several hours extra time, and want something to give you a little push to farm.

I think I've done 12 or 13 contracts, stop keeping count, and I've gotten the gold rewards on all of them - hoping it'll be my time soon to get something more!

2. Swango

Swango Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Swango
    Drop rate of fletch power scrolls needs to be increased. Current market value is multiple millions for 105s and 110s.

3. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden
    I believe the current market value is more an indication of a lack of players doing contracts (after the initial phase), and the large number of crafters who see a new shiny option, who want it.. I believe the demand will level out at some point, if Monster contracts can get some balance to the point people are actually putting some time in on them...

I've also talked to sooo many people who dont' even know what a monster contract is, nor how to do them.. And when I tell them bout it, they quickly realize it doesn't matter since it was geared towards end game activities with the level of mob that is on them.

4. Moosebish

Moosebish Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    It still seems like Monster Contracts are aimed only at the upper percentile of players capable of serious farming. But maybe they're beta testing for us :)

5. Lolitah

Lolitah Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Lolitah
    I'm an upper level player and original monster contracts were ridiculous. Kill 300 flaming gargoyles or such and you would be lucky to be able to find 300 flaming gargoyles to kill in weeks (maybe if you're obsessed). I think they fixed that a bit. Anyone have any experience doing them and what has it been like? Thanks.

6. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    I've done about 30 contracts now, I've gotten gold on all but one contract.. They have increased the gold yield, and lowered the quantity to kill, but they are all still higher end mobs, corrupted blood ele's, abnormal spiders, gibralta the spider, blood vortex, ancient liche, pyroclast elementals... there are a couple of not too bad ones, but the majority are higher end, some are rare spawns, and most are contested farm points for tamers...

I like them because it gives me a sense of direction when I log in, something to work towards, but I still wish they covered a wider range of monsters, with larger quantities (like 500 earth eles!) so that newer players could get in on them as well. I think that'd help to create an economy for selling off the contracts...

Swango likes this.
  7. Lolitah

Jun 1, 2014
    Lolitah
    Thanks. Good points. Challenge is so many tamer competitors. Hard enough if you had them all to yourself. Shouldn't be easy, but not so hard in light of competition for those mobs. And good point about new players and lower level mobs (with lower level rewards, of course)

8. Mystical Master

Mystical Master Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    NEW PLAYER
    I think the system is fine for what it is now, after a while it comes to be a decent system. At first people aren't going to have anything, and it will be expensive for anyone who wants the rewards or scrolls. Later on in the game every one will have a chance and it will be easy to obtain. The items have to accumulate. Thats why this shard thrives because they make things this way for a reason. If everyone had everything, what fun would it be? We work hard for what we want, let it stay that way.

9. Lolitah

Jun 1, 2014
    Lolitah
    Agreed.

10. Swango

Swango Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Swango
    Needs a revamp. Beta testing was finished long ago. It is not fine like it is. Fletching will still be awful after scrolling.

Mystical Master likes this.
  11. Mystical Master

Mystical Master Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    NEW PLAYER
    The systems great, the monsters need changed a bit. It also needs to cator new players as well, so low to high tier system could be incorporated.

12. halv

halv Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Bodia
    Tobse
    I tried this contracts once. I needed to kill 141 betrayer. Sure, i can do that. Hytloth got three betrayer and i know about three betrayers in Ankh next to a ancient shadow wyrm. Btw. You can't provoke them.
    After killing 14 betrayers in three days i calculated the daily time i have to play, the respawn and recall time, the time to kill and some extra time for paragon betrayers. I finally recognized i only can fill that contract deed in my holidays or i have to quit my job. I throw it into my trash barrel.

Mystical Master and Goapirat like this.
  13. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    I've done several contracts in 3-4 hours, others take 7-8 hours, and some just haven't been possible. Giving it one chance, probably wasn't a fair shake halv - but I understand the sentiment entirely, many of us shared it when they first came out. They did however lower the quantities on some of them, so they were more do-able.. I've done betrayers 3-4 times now in the 120-160 range, without any issue in a few hours.. betrayers actually spawn pretty quick.

14. Lolitah

Jun 1, 2014
    Lolitah
    My "problem" is grinding like that is no fun for me, and in 3-4 hours I can do a bunch of high level t maps and usually get a portal fragment worth 250k (and they are fun to do), or kill high level paragons, which are also kinda fun. Are the rewards worth the grind?

15. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    The rewards can be worth the grind, I don't put 3-4 hours in straight, you can break it up over a week, I also mix in other places like MoTM and other activities in there. For me it gives me some direction to farming, because just farming gold is the most boring thing in the world to me.. It feels progression like to do these contracts... I've also done up to 3 at a time, you can often get two that have the same mobs in one area, which makes it pretty nice.

My two biggest let downs on the contracts are they are not geared towards newer players - that doesn't affect me - but I think it'd create a buy/sell/swap economy if there were some ,and they had tiered rewards, and also that doing contracts doesn't give you some sort of progression with the contract giver, which in the end might give you some sort of unique item... a Monster Hunter title scroll... Monster Hunter sash.. something to say what activity you do.. Could easily be tied to your character so they weren't trade-able.

16. Bromista

Bromista Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Half of the contracts I have gotten (in exchange for literal garbage) have gone straight to the trash barrel.

The monster difficulty is basically all or nothing. From reapers to skeletal drags. Need more mid-tier options to get players into new areas.

Rewards seem to be in a good enough place now. We all agree it was ridiculous at the start (you could get more gold from 2 kills) but at this poinI don't see anything needing to change here. You're getting a dice roll on a good reward as bonus motivation for farming. You're earning gold and other drops in the process, so essentially if you get a gold reward roll no you shouldn't be getting more than 20k gold for your garbage statues. 2k was whack, at least you can get a couple talisman resets out of the deal now.

17. KoldesLives

KoldesLives Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I agree with the general consensus that "the system is great, the monsters need tweaking." I really like the system a lot. With the right tweaks to the monsters, this could be phenomenal and give people that end game content that it was designed to do, rather than be mostly ignored by everyone. It's so close to being great, but without that final tweak, it's nearly dead content. It's a shame.

I agree that there needs to be more middle tier monsters, not easy stuff but not impossible stuff that no one in their right mind would do. What comes to mind is stuff like (but not limited to) poison elementals (give a reason to kill them, giving a use to Elemental Health stuff) wyverns that no one kills, orc brutes, terathan avengers, silver serpants, ophidian justicars, etc.

I actually like the reward system a lot. 10-15k seems like a slap in the face, but go to 20 champ spawns in a row and get nothing and you'll remember that this game isn't about entitlement.

I hope the staff can look at making these tweaks. I think it would require a very small amount of development but the payoff could be huge.