Make Poisoning a more viable PvP template.

Asan_Drakus

Grandmaster
For dexxers, it is fine.

Nox mages are a joke here. I mainly put 100 poisoning on my provo mage because I had a shit ton of GP kegs laying around, and I never provo anymore, she has been relegated to idoccer status so I figured hell, at least I can DP all my pretty vanqs. I know you have to be careful with this skill so it does't become OP, but it REALLY could use some love. It stands no chance against ANY of the other mage builds.

Problems:

-Range to DP is insanely short
-Even when right next to someone it seems like the DP chance is very, very low.
-Poisoning has such a high resist as it.. for a hard skill to GM, and 100 points in general.. it s very, very weak.
-Nox mage is a template with near 0 benefits in the world of PvP on UOF, and could be made viable with one or two simple changes

Solutions: (obviously not ALL of these.. then Nox would be OP)

-Make DP% chance possible from any range
-Make DP harder to cure with pots AND spell. (mainly pots for pvp purposes)
-Give the poison spell less of a chance to be resisted at GM poisoning
-Small % chance for lethal poison if within one tile, or in general.
-100% chance to DP if within 4-5 tiles
-Add some other cool mage benefit with GM poisoning, like buff up mana drain, or some other never used offensive spell.

Thoughts? Opinions? All of my ideas would be very easy to test and implement and would add an entire new dimension to mage pvp.

Poisoning already has significant pvp advantages - it increases DP chance on striking a player from 20% (which is weak as piss imo) to 40%.

The only FURTHER viable options i can see are:

1) Make it so EV's only DP if you have poisoning (maybe 40 poisoning is needed for evs to even poison?) - since they are soo overpowered as it is (their speed).

2) GM Poison/Mage = 100% poison chance

I have gm poisoning on my blacksmith character, it was as easy as taking a piss to gm - so that argument is void. No, wait, my taming was REALLY hard to gm, so maybe my dragon and nightmare should be able to stun people since they just run? *facepalm*.

Also, if you made it so the cure spell couldn't cure DP with ease or need to cast the cure range spell (i.e higher level), then in 1v1 it is harm spam FTW, unless of course chugging is involved.

There is no skill/timing in casting poison, i don't see why they should get such a large bump... Maybe learn to time explode pots and use alchemy?

halygon

Grandmaster
What is up with ppl wanting poison to be uncurable? Poison is a low circle spell and takes half a sec to cast ( ok maybe a sec) and only uses one reg. yes I get ya are spending 100 points on the poisoning skill.

I'm down with poisoning getting a bump in damage but definatly not uncurable by gcure pot. It's ******** to use four or more gcures to cure a single poison just to be poisoned again and have to repeat the cycle. For a dexxor with a two handed weapon, by the time you take off the weapon and drink a cure, you have already lost a decent amount of hp... Make the poison uncurable and damn.. There's no reason to even try to be a dexxor or anything except a poisoner for that matter.

Poison is already OPl on dp'd weapons. You guys like poison way too much... It's overused in the pits and in the field... It's like you guys can't kill someone without poisoning them first. I kill ppl all the time without it so I know it can be done.

Asan_Drakus

Grandmaster
Poisoning already has significant pvp advantages - it increases DP chance on striking a player from 20% (which is weak as piss imo) to 40%.

The only FURTHER viable options i can see are:

1) Make it so EV's only DP if you have poisoning (maybe 40 poisoning is needed for evs to even poison?) - since they are soo overpowered as it is (their speed).

2) GM Poison/Mage = 100% poison chance

I have gm poisoning on my blacksmith character, it was as easy as taking a piss to gm - so that argument is void. No, wait, my taming was REALLY hard to gm, so maybe my dragon and nightmare should be able to stun people since they just run? *facepalm*.

Also, if you made it so the cure spell couldn't cure DP with ease or need to cast the cure range spell (i.e higher level), then in 1v1 it is harm spam FTW, unless of course chugging is involved.

There is no skill/timing in casting poison, i don't see why they should get such a large bump... Maybe learn to time explode pots and use alchemy?

I said it was fine for dexxers, this post is in regards to NOX MAGES. And nerfing EV's won't solve anything, I am not even sure why you think they're OP.

#2 on the other hand.. I do like that. Even like 80% or something.

As for the rest of your post, honestly it was garbage not worth responding to, but I will anyways... I think we both know tamers are fine, and viable. This post *again* is about making nox mages viable. Not OP. Just viable. viable viable viable. I have every other mage template 7x already, being why i made the nox mage in the first place.. I knew they were bad.... so try to keep your feedback constructive, if that is possible for you.

There is no skill in dexxers either, but they are still viable. (again, that word.. viable... )

I don't think you should increase the range at which poison mages can inflict DP, but I think it is important to have DP take 2-4 tries to cure. 50% or 60% chance to cure DP with Greater Cure potion would be about right. If they wanted to do something a little more interesting, they could make it so that the normal Cure spell gives you a 35% chance to cure DP, Greater Cure potion is 50% chance, and Arch Cure is 60% chance or something similar. I don't think this sort of change would be overpowered, as long as you keep the DP chance and the DP range low.

kurtis

Grandmaster
Keep in mind that changes made to DP and the ability to cure it - by spell or potion - will also affect the power of a poison dexer. Making DP more difficult to cure would help nox mages for sure, but poison dexers will become unstoppable. I already feel that my poison dexer is a bit overpowered. If it took several gcure pots to cure a DP....wow I can't even imagine how bad I'd stomp on people. Also, I'd start carrying 30 gcure pots everytime I left my house. Because of the above, and so many other reasons, I don't believe making DP more difficult to cure is the right solution.

As for the other suggestions, I'm still just not sure. Poison is already such a critical part of mage dueling. It actually kind of bothers me. Poison, magic arrow, magic arrow, magic arrow. Dueling has become a desperate attempt to keep the person poisoned. Hitting a DP on a second level spell that requires so little mana...it should be as tough as it currently is, IMO. I think the only thing I could get on board with is making poison more difficult to resist if the caster has poisoning.

Strife

Master
I second or third or forth this. I made a nox mage first hoping they would be fun, but turns out its basically wasted skill on a mage lol. Lets do something to make it useful.

+1 to 2nd and 3rd tab suggestion of OP's post. i have been wanting both of these for a while. atleast one of them is fair and will not be a game-breaker.

Gore

Adept
Xiled. This is why you were never good at pvp. You have no idea what you're talking about. What you're suggesting are game changing ideas. If you made poisoning harder to cure with the spell/pot it would make it the most OP group fighting/5x/7x skill in the game. You know how easy it would be to kill people with a GM poisoner who is going to make someone not be able to cure first try? LOL . The only thing that would make some sense is to make the CHANCE to poison 80-100%. That way it would make having GM poisoning viable. People would have a GM poisoner in their groups for the sole reason of casting poison after explosion. All of your other suggestions just makes poisoning extremely game-breaking.

I understand you have no idea what you're talking about in UO:R pvp.... but please... don't make threads like this. It's just embarrassing on your part. Continue waiting for IPY3 to open so you can play with your friends again. You stand 0 chance here man.

Gedron

Master
Xiled. This is why you were never good at pvp. You have no idea what you're talking about. What you're suggesting are game changing ideas. If you made poisoning harder to cure with the spell/pot it would make it the most OP group fighting/5x/7x skill in the game. You know how easy it would be to kill people with a GM poisoner who is going to make someone not be able to cure first try? LOL . The only thing that would make some sense is to make the CHANCE to poison 80-100%. That way it would make having GM poisoning viable. People would have a GM poisoner in their groups for the sole reason of casting poison after explosion. All of your other suggestions just makes poisoning extremely game-breaking.

I understand you have no idea what you're talking about in UO:R pvp.... but please... don't make threads like this. It's just embarrassing on your part. Continue waiting for IPY3 to open so you can play with your friends again. You stand 0 chance here man.

gore pls go

Embarrassment

Apprentice
I agree that the major change to poisoning should simply be a guaranteed chance to poison. 90-100% please. Also, make DP tick at 2 seconds, but not impossible to gcure with pots.

K A Z

Grandmaster

+1

I would like to see a 100% chance to successfully poison a target while on a mage with 100 magery and 100 poisoning skill. Anything else stated in this thread is way over the top and would create insane balance issues with the current spell damage. It would essentially also force everyone to play a poison mage instead of promoting diversity in group PvP compositions.

However as it stands currently no change should be implemented at all to poisoning until the 5x dueling script has properly been adjusted so that it really is 5x.

Asan_Drakus

Grandmaster
Yeah there is always a find line to balancing templates, and no changes that make Nox Mages the Hally Mage of T2a would be good.

I too believe 100% chance at GM Mage/Poison would be a small enough buff to create viability, but not large enough to create an OP template.

Asan_Drakus

Grandmaster

Gore, this is why you were never good at life, you can't read, and try to turn a discussion thread into a trolling thread. You yourself said one of my ideas would make sense, so you are actually agreeing with me you fucking idiot. Obviously some of those suggestions were just spitballed in an effort to make people think, and for them to be discussed here. L2Read.

Gedron

Master
Yeah there is always a find line to balancing templates, and no changes that make Nox Mages the Hally Mage of T2a would be good.

I too believe 100% chance at GM Mage/Poison would be a small enough buff to create viability, but not large enough to create an OP template.

This was suggested several times before and people were up in arms about it. I think that or a 75% cure chance with pots or normal cure spell would be good. Give arch cure a 100% chance to cure DP. Given the enormous amount of times i see poison resisted and the fact it would only fail 1/4 times, I don't think it would be overpowered. Plus you would add another spell into the mix that players will have to consider.

Considering 2 explosions and one ebolt will kill someone, if you add in a poison that has a 25% chance to not be cured you're looking at getting a kill 25% of your 2 man dumps. This seems a little excessive.