Mage 5x + tamer vs provo

Khaleesi

Apprentice
hey guys
I'm considering an all-around char to pvm with and to have decent pvp skills.
I read the general opinion for pvm is Mage 5x with music and provoke
I have always wanted to be able to tame so what's the general opinion about that? Can I make a dexxer tamer with archery or can I make my main Mage a tamer and still maintain a well rounded build ?

kurtis

Grandmaster
A 5x mage provo is going to just be a 5x mage outside of a dungeon or spawn. It will be really hard to kill anyone decent that has a full PvP build 1v1 with just 5x, but you would be useful in group battles. Inside of a dungeon/spawn, you'll be relying on getting creatures on your opponent. It's doable, but honestly good players usually just run far enough away from the creature, unless they are feeling risky.

A 5x mage tamer is probably the most versatile of everything you've mentioned. You are not reliant on neutral creeps to take people out. Your pet dragons and wyrms will tear people up. So you'll always be more than just a 5x mage, no matter where you are. Between your pets and your 5x mage-ness, your survivability is amazing. People shouldn't mess with you unless it's a coordinated group syncing on you. You could replace either resist or eval and get vet, if you want to be able to resurrect your pets and cheaply heal them in PvM. Be warned, that if you die to good people outside of a dungeon, they might very well lure your bonded pets onto a boat (you'll either lose them, have to summon them with a pet summoning ball, or pay the ransom - all of which are annoying).

Is time consumption in building the char a factor? A provo mage is way, way less time consuming than any tamer. That's why a lot of people make them over tamers. You can make a lot of money with very little investment.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Archer tamers are great for PvM but are really not all that good for PvP unless you are mounted, so it's a hard build to fight with if you are in the middle of farming. For strictly PvP it is a powerful template but it just doesn't work well in dungeons.

Mage bard may not give you much offense, but it is probably the easiest PvM template to defend yourself with.

Khaleesi

Apprentice
I'm trying to work on tamer. What's the 7th skill you recommend? Lore or music? What's the point of music?
I got to 60 skill kinda fast doing wild bears etc but then it became super slow. I'm trying to tame scorpions outside shame.
Another question I have is any reason to tame mobs that have been tamed before ? For some reason a ton of mobs are grey but have names

kurtis

Grandmaster
If you're making a tamer you need Animal Lore. It's necessary to control your pets and to bond them. Mandatory.

Musicianship is necessary to use other skills that require the ability to play an instrument (such as provocation and peacemaking). Musicianship by itself is pointless.

Look for Dwayne Wade's guide on taming (you can search by members - it's also linked in his signature). It works well enough. Taming inside dungeons is preferable, since skill gain is increased inside dungeons. Right now you should probably be inside Shame level 1 taming all of those scorpions.