Ideas for the raffle island

andomin

Master
I'm so glad to have the opportunity to be the owner of this island, which has yet to be named. But rather than turning it into my own paradise, I wanted to gather some ideas for how we can turn this island into some new exciting addition to the shard.

At this point in time I wouldn't like to sell it. If I sold it I feel the server would lose the opportunity to have something fun and unique. I'd like to retain ownership of the island so I can make sure that one guild or one person doesn't own it and ruin the chance at something great.

Feel free to contact me on here or PM, and add on to these current ideas or have an idea of your own. Please don't make outlandish requests as they're non-constructive. The staff will not place a guard zone over the entire island. I believe that Shane already ruled out a champion spawn. Rare spawns are probably also out of the question. Other than that, feel free to add to this discussion!

Idea One: Player-Ran Town
I'm toying around with the idea of having a guard zone near the building by the docks.

Attempt to get a banker and stable master.

Surround the guard zone with well-spaced vendor houses.

Have an auction house, maybe dueling pit, someone mentioned a bagball stadium. Feel free to throw in some ideas on what types of building would bring in players.

Idea Two: PvP Town
Another idea is to establish a no cut zone, ankh, safe pvp-free area by the docks, and a moongate to brit bank by the docks.

I could select guild masters from large PvP guilds to place one moderate sized house per guild.

Have a few vendor houses near the bank so people can stock up on regs/armor.

I wanted to see if maybe it could be a stat-loss free area for both factions and reds.

House placement would happen so that there's a large open field for combat to take place.

Extra houses would be sold to high bidders.

Idea Three: Guild Island
With the guard zone and banker/stables, it would be prime real estate for guilds.

I think it'd be cool to sell large plots to different guilds, and they could make their guild houses on the island.

One home per guild. Would basically be an island of embassies.

andomin

Master
Pvp town !! Sell me the island for 50mil and I'll make it pvp town too !

Already got offered 75 mill. But I don't want to sell it. If I make it a PvP town, I'd like to retain ownership so the housing distribution is fair, and no one guild dominates.

noobs705

Grandmaster
To me i think any real ideas the gms wont implement but what your saying for pvp town they will 100% do you could also ask the gms to keep a gate somewhere that takes you to pvp island so its easy for people to find

Tidalian

Expert
Sounds like you already have plenty of the most popular suggestions under consideration! Although rare spawns were ruled out, I don't believe my idea would step on any toes. As it stands, the island lacks any natural wildlife whatsoever, and feels pretty bleak for it. Whatever primary use you decide on for the island, it seems worth requesting a smattering of fauna to liven the place up. This could easily all be standard fare, but I thought it seemed like a fun opportunity to make the island a more distinctive place to visit. In much the same spirit as real remote islands often containing unique species, your island could regularly spawn a simple rehue of some existing wildlife, like blue parrots named 'an island name] parrot'. If they happen to be tameables (like a different but natural hue of horse), all the better for players to see them brought to the mainland and wonder where they came from or be reminded of your island and subsequently pay it a visit.

Maybe this island even has the first known non-aggressive slimes! :p As long as it was kept reasonable, I can't imagine the staff being too opposed to something simple.

Anyhow, this obviously isn't a suggestion with much bearing on the overall use of the island, but everyone's liable to suggest whatever aspect they enjoy most about UO be added and I happen to be a fan of fun/unique animals, which rarely have cause to be added. :D

Looking very forward to seeing what becomes of this place regardless!

Cyclonite

Neophyte
Just another idea to throw out there, make the island a no mount zone. That would make the island seem bigger and also give the shard a unique open field no cut zone pvp area.

I like the idea of rehued/unique wildlife. To expand on that maybe they could create a truely unqiue spawn, like a super strong killer Gorilla named "King Kong" . It wouldn't be tameable or drop a huge amount of gold, it would just go around smashing people who enter his island. :)

Brakrak

Adept
I think you should just enjoy your island...why cater to anyone else...you get to have as many houses you want to place and you can tram the fawk out of it..with cool original décor..everyone pays more for house beside fountains and apple trees and shrines etc...for a reason...outside of a safe-zone auction house which is the only thing the shard is lacking to get that real last second impulse bidding on items and not have it interrupted by reds and thieves...pvp zones already exists.....dueling pits already exist ( a ghost town now)....and an unfinished Booty Island can support a lot of the other ideas....ENJOY....this is a game where blues get whacked by big rich guilds at IDOCs for a couple chests at a 7X7....I doubt they would open an island up like you propose.....Congratz and have fun with it...I only say this cause staff has ruled out any really potential special possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salsa

Grandmaster
Whatever you do, get the GMs to make it easy to get there. If it's a boat/recall only island don't expect many visitors.

Make it no cut, and everybody grey.

Also put some casting aggro mobs on the island to make it interesting.

Other than that, how about some exotic animals, ankh, moongate and an operational cannon?

Lexington

Grandmaster
I think you should just enjoy your island...why cater to anyone else...you get to have as many houses you want to place and you can tram the fawk out of it..with cool original décor..everyone pays more for house beside fountains and apple trees and shrines etc...for a reason...outside of a safe-zone auction house which is the only thing the shard is lacking to get that real last second impulse bidding on items and not have it interrupted by reds and thieves...pvp zones already exists.....dueling pits already exist ( a ghost town now)....and an unfinished Booty Island can support a lot of the other ideas....ENJOY....this is a game where blues get whacked by big rich guilds at IDOCs for a couple chests at a 7X7....I doubt they would open an island up like you propose.....Congratz and have fun with it...I only say this cause staff has ruled out any really potential special possibilities.

This!

Starnite

Master
first off, congrats on winning the island.

ever thought of a non pvp, non thief zone and make it a shopping mall?
ask for a moon gate to be posted in brit to your island and then charge a weekly rate to set up a vendor there.

just a thought.

andomin

Master
Update:
The island has been redecorated, it's now home to numerous ponds, wells, and flowers. The deco resembles the grove of love by the justice shrine.

The guard zone and some other requests would've provided an unfair benefit to people living there, and without a sanctuary zone to port into and without somewhere for people to run, even a no-cut and no-stat/point loss zone wouldn't have brought PvP to the island.

So as of this moment, my plan is for the island to be a housing zone, with an auction house. Each house is outside of the screen from every other home, most are water front, surrounded by some awesome deco. You'll need to have a boat or rune to get there, and additional runes cannot be marked. This makes it one of the safest housing zones, and also makes it a great location for auctions.

I'm not sure how the plots will be sold at this point in time, or how many. There's enough room for 2 30x30's, a 15x15, an 18x18, and a 10x10. Other large plots can fit around the 30x30's but I think they'd be worth more if there weren't other buildings in sight. Although I'm willing to work with the owners if they'd like to add additional (smaller) plots next door.

I'll be posting more information about how/when the plots will be sold!​

Tidalian

Expert
Sounds like a fun plan! I'm looking forward to checking it out in person, though I don't know if it's possible yet while it's still being customized. If additional runes can't be marked, how would initial ones be marked? Only markable by you for distribution? Too bad I didn't think to try to mark one back when it was on display, though it's possible marking was already disabled. :p Still plenty of opportunity for selling the houses to users who intend to do something engaging with them rather than people hoarding a nearly bare 30x30 plot that reads 'lol u suk' on the mini-map, haha.

andomin

Master
Here's a sneak peak of how the island will look! I've never been the biggest fan of large houses, so the first picture is going to be my new home. Each of the plots on the island has flowers, and most have a well or pond right next to them. There's a moonshine distillery behind one of the trees because I want the island to sponsor alcoholism. The ponds also have shimmering light and you can't see the waves in this picture but they're there. Second picture is one of the 18x18 areas. Third picture is one of the 30x30 areas.

I'd post the auction house but I don't think it's finalized. But it's looking great so far! I'm really grateful that @Adam has invested so much time and energy into making this island is perfect.

fNrxC0D.png

CdMaopp.png

0OyZrea.png

Tidalian

Expert
Hoowee, looks real nice! That's one heck of a 'custom' house. :D Even if no fauna end up on the island, it's nice to see how flora-heavy you've gotten! Definitely livens the place up.

It seems the brewery system has been in for quite some time with Moonglow Mead being the only special brew yet added, so maybe your dedication to brewing will inspire more varieties to make their way into the game! :)