1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge Server Optimization Update!

Discussion in 'News' started by Shane, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    A little three year anniversary treat:
    Adam and Eppy have been working together, going over and testing different area's of the server. Needless to say they have found some code we just didn't need or use anymore from previous developers which we all think has been the cause of some of the weird spikes in the last while. This actually dates back to about a year and a half so it will be exciting to see the save times drop, and a much needed server performance boost.

Next restart the optimizations will be in place, here are the notes.

Server Optimizations

-Removed MoveSpawner class. We didn't use it but it called an initialize at load that started a timer that ticks
    every minute. When the timer ticked, it would iterate through the entire world items list looking for objects of
    its type.

-Removed Fast Movement move implementation. It accounts for a large amount of CPU usage.

-All AI has had its wandering function slow down. Prior to this, it was ticking once per 0.005 seconds. We have
    made it so it will only process a wander every 1 to 10 seconds. This will have no impact on other creature AI
    functionality.

-Removed approximately 4 million items, bringing the overall item count from 12 million to 8 million.

-Removed approximately 60k mobiles from the world.

-Removed some event subscriptions. We had some event subscriptions to frequent such as on move or on speech
    that were uneeded.

-Decreased portal spawn points stored in memory.

-Removed snapshot system. This stored different versions of your skills, bank ect for different maps. It was part
    of a system that never came to fruition but was still saving to every player mobile.

-Optimized speech LOS check.

-Reworked speed packet throttle code and added packet throttle for resync packets.

-Fixed an issue with mobile noteriety that caused it to check uneeded processor heavy functions on every step, click ect

-Temporarily removed location conquests invocation to rework them.

-Lowered Speech log max entries per mobile from 10k to 100.

-Reworked unique name check. It was iterating through the entire world mobile list even after it had found that a name was not unique.

-Made it so animal names do not have to be unique. Every rename packet sent would iterate through the entire world
    mobile list.

-Removed a class that hooked into the packet for world items. Whenever an item would come on screen, it would add a lot of extra
    uneeded processing. This would happen for every item on screen and would fire for every mobile.

-Added a check to avoid uneeded processing for pvp battle checks. Pretty much whenever any action such as clicking,
    attacking, casting, movement ect occurred, it would iterate through the battles list to see if who you were attacking
    is a participant in a battle and if they are on the opposing team. This occurred even when you were outside of an event.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    47 people like this.
  2. Afro Man

Afro Man Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I have char's in all the top guild's but you will never know who I am
    Thanks For All your Hard Work *Happy 3rd*

3. Belgarath

Belgarath Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks to all the staff, and players, for making this server an awesome place to play! Happy 3rd anniversary!!

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Leviathan
    Nice work!

5. Cam Newton

Cam Newton Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Awesome, great work!

6. DubeeAshtray

DubeeAshtray Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Dubee
    xXkuruptXx
    Po boy
    good staff = great server

7. Lexington

Lexington Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Good work guys but you forget..... added new bounty hunter system ;)

8. Belbie

Belbie Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Woohoo! When is server reset?

9. Karl Sagan

Karl Sagan Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2013
    damn now that's some patch notes!

nice work @eppy and @Adam

2 people like this.
  10. Dig'em

Dig'em Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Ty for the update :D and all the hard work :)

11. Derwolf

Derwolf Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    this is huge, thanks staff

12. Blackmartin

Blackmartin Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Blackmartin
    Very cool, Glad I stood in a good spot for that pic! I'm curious if you considered getting rid of the 'junk' bags that humanoids drop. They drop easily 15-20+ items per kill in those 2-3 bags that the server has to host. I would imagine lots of corpses, even left to rot, would add unnecessary server stress.

13. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

This isn't a huge deal, it kind of adds some nostalgia i think as well, the food isn't always a bad thing and when your pvming with a group it's can be pretty funny to see who can come up with the most ridiculous costumes from your junk loots ahha.

If they are left on the corpses they just decay.

6 people like this.
  14. crazy-horse

crazy-horse Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I had been wondering about a recent sheep spawn that suddenly quit spawning beside my house. ICan I assume that was part of the cleanup and I can now make my house more reasonably accessible since I don't have to worry about the sheep getting poisoned on my steps?

15. Belge

Belge Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    cool, lets restart the server and get these new changes running!

16. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks! really useful, and large-scale works!
    I'm probably going to say stupid\holywar thing:
    but any plans to remove the old accounts? that did not login ~ 2 years
    maybe it also has a positive impact on performance, as well it release short\rare the names of the characters :rolleyes:

17. Caso

Caso Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michael Caso
    Well as a result of the server down and up time I lost 15 exp valorite plate arms and 10 exp bronze plate gloves... Despite saving several times.

#pissedoff

18. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I recently thought of this, i'd like to, the thing is SOO many people come back to UO FOREVER after playing for awhile then leaving for a bit.
    I honestly can say over 85% of people who have quit UOF for one reason or another have came back...

I seriously would think it's over 85% even. Almost everyone i've talked to that left either on good or bad terms has come back eventually...

I'm not sure we would gain those come-back players if their accounts were deleted.

However maybe we can look into time put into accounts and delete accounts off that. We will see.

We have an obnoxious amount of accounts made on UOFOREVER.

19. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Sorry this happened, we needed to reboot and put in all the new optimizations plus all the rewards for the vesper event and more....
    We had to test saves, and test some other systems live with many people logged in to do this.

We RARELY have down time, but when it does go down, i would wait at least an hour after server up to do anything you want to save. There's about a 1/5 chance of multiple server resets honestly and we posted about about the updates earlier : http://www.uoforum.com/threads/huge-server-optimization-update.73326/

This was a much needed update and no matter what we do, we have so many people playing here we will ALWAYS upset at least one or more everytime we update.

20. Caso

Caso Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michael Caso
    All good I'll get over it. Wasn't crucial to my bod collection. I just logged on without knowing what was happening. Then was like WTF!!!

It's happened before too :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.