How is everyone making their gold?

Mr Pain

Apprentice
Now before I begin here, let me first say that I am not begging for money. I will not accept "donations". Rather, I'd like to "learn to fish" as far as this server goes.

I am extremely familiar with UO and have been playing off and on since pre trammel OSI. I know how to macro characters, and I nearly have a dexer and provo bard finished, and I have a thief, crafter, and fisher in the works, as well as a small house to store supplies and macro in.

Its just been so long since I've bothered starting up in UO from scratch that I cant seem to recall how to get money rolling in, and this server seems very....unique as far as everything goes.

How do you all make money here? How might you suggest someone getting on his feet go about doing it here?

Osiris

Neophyte
personally as soon as my bard was done I hit up Kaldun (cant remember how to spell that) and deceit level 5. In Kaldun I head over to the Balrons, there is a spawn of three. I make those guys fight and loot the spoils. Pretty good gold drop and alot of armor and magic wep drops. For pure gold I do deceit level 5, You can pull 10k pretty quickly but it is a high pk spot also. Usually junk pk's and its usually pretty easy to avoid them. Pack light on your bard and the return in gold is well worth it.

SteelSexi

Master
Welcome to the server!

Honestly.. you can have fun and make plenty of money smashing mobs. Just be sure you recall home and bank often is all.

But to be honest... if you don't mind the grind..... you can make a killing just making a miner. Once you GM mining, or get above GM, mining and selling ingots will make you rich very fast here. I could make wayyyyyy more money then I make with all my vendors just doing nothing but mining and selling all my ingots. Not exactly exciting, but it's a definite money maker. People always need ingots and are either too lazy or don't have time to mine them. - or both.

Anyhow, good luck in your travels here, and I'm sure someday I'll see you in game!

Sobz

Master
def Khaldun, deceit 5 is alright too as both have been mentioned above andddd doing champs for powerscrolls if you get lucky you can use your bard there. also hythloth

Sargoth8

Neophyte
Welcome to the server!

Honestly.. you can have fun and make plenty of money smashing mobs. Just be sure you recall home and bank often is all.

But to be honest... if you don't mind the grind..... you can make a killing just making a miner. Once you GM mining, or get above GM, mining and selling ingots will make you rich very fast here. I could make wayyyyyy more money then I make with all my vendors just doing nothing but mining and selling all my ingots. Not exactly exciting, but it's a definite money maker. People always need ingots and are either too lazy or don't have time to mine them. - or both.

Anyhow, good luck in your travels here, and I'm sure someday I'll see you in game!

Hello =) Do you have any usefull macro for mining? Because we can't use any of the programs that were made for UO (Thanks admins, its really fun to click like a tard hours and hours the same button.)
I tried to make something usefull in Razor, but at least for me, razor isn't that great when it comes to mining.
Any tips, please? =)

Snickle

Grandmaster
100 macing, 100 tactics, 100 provo, 100 music, 80 anatomy, 80 healing, 80 resist spells, 60 magery

All skills can be macrod afk in a day or two. I can solo titan paragon all day and kill em much quick then a tamer (repond weap ftw). No need to train your taming skill for weeks before you can start farming serious gold.
I found 4 Taming SS's yesterday that I sold for 550k~
As long as stuff is provoked, you can swing on em all day w/o worrying. So Dragon slayers and Silvers are real useful too.

My recommendation would definitely be dexxer/provoker. I used to play a mage/provoker but the slayer weapons sold it for me. Also, not having to spend gold on regs which would lower the income/profit rate.
Archery is probably the best for this build, but I wanted macing so I can chug pots w/o having to unequip (re equipping resets swing timer) and not having to spend money/farm for arrows.
But its primarily a provoker with the ability to hit for 150 dmg a swing :)

My other money maker is my Tmapper
100 mage, 100 Eval, 100 Med, 100 provo, 100 music, 96~ lockpicking (***** to train), 70 cartography, 30 hiding.
No resist spells but this character only see's action at treasure map chests. Provocation protects me well enough.

Best of luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SteelSexi

Master
Hello =) Do you have any usefull macro for mining?

Making a large mining macro would be ill-advised. Even if you successfully made such a complex script, it would be too easy to look away or get distracted I think. I've been checked up on MANY times by GMs while manually mining, and if they catch you away or not responding for even like 30 seconds, you can do jail time (temporary ban) or be banned entirely.

However, I can absolutely agree that clicking every ore vein manually is not fun. What I did is made a few simple macros in Razor and set them to hot keys. For example I made a macro to bring up the mining cursor and set it to my F5 key. (To do this simply record a simple double click of your pickaxe and then right click on that line and change it to use by TYPE) Then I set my F6 key to use last tool then last target and looped it so that once i select a mining spot, i hit my F6 key and my character will continue to mine that spot. I then set my F7 key to "stop last action" so then once the vein has been depleted of ore, I simply tap my F7 key. I move to a new spot, and rinse and repeat with my F5 thru my F7 keys. I also made a "Make new pickaxe" simple script in Razor using my tinkering skill and set that to my F8 key. So now, all my mining is done much, much easier using four taps of my keyboard and a few mouse clicks. This makes mining much easier, trust me... and it also requires enough of your attention to the game that if a GM does check up on you, you won't risk getting jailed and/or banned.

Hope that helps you! :)

Mr Pain

Apprentice
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll take them all into consideration. I especially liked this one

100 macing, 100 tactics, 100 provo, 100 music, 80 anatomy, 80 healing, 80 resist spells, 60 magery

All skills can be macrod afk in a day or two. I can solo titan paragon all day and kill em much quick then a tamer (repond weap ftw). No need to train your taming skill for weeks before you can start farming serious gold.
As long as stuff is provoked, you can swing on em all day w/o worrying. So Dragon slayers and Silvers are real useful too.

My recommendation would definitely be dexxer/provoker. I used to play a mage/provoker but the slayer weapons sold it for me. Also, not having to spend gold on regs which would lower the income/profit rate.
Archery is probably the best for this build, but I wanted macing so I can chug pots w/o having to unequip (re equipping resets swing timer) and not having to spend money/farm for arrows.

100 mage, 100 Eval, 100 Med, 100 provo, 100 music, 96~ lockpicking (***** to train), 70 cartography, 30 hiding.
No resist spells but this character only see's action at treasure map chests. Provocation protects me well enough.

What's the best way of training provo on this server? Cant say I've ever really done it efficiently before.

SteelSexi

Master
New
get wool from sheep, make bolts of cloth and sell it to tailor. i make mils!

LMFAO ^5 - You make "mils" or did you typo and mean "milk"? (Like maybe you milked some cows while you were gathering sheep wool ya know) :D

Snickle

Grandmaster
Shame 2 dull copper elves. Teleport behind the stalagmites n provoke them onto urself so they don't die off

halygon

Grandmaster
Making a large mining macro would be ill-advised. Even if you successfully made such a complex script, it would be too easy to look away or get distracted I think. I've been checked up on MANY times by GMs while manually mining, and if they catch you away or not responding for even like 30 seconds, you can do jail time (temporary ban) or be banned entirely.

However, I can absolutely agree that clicking every ore vein manually is not fun. What I did is made a few simple macros in Razor and set them to hot keys. For example I made a macro to bring up the mining cursor and set it to my F5 key. (To do this simply record a simple double click of your pickaxe and then right click on that line and change it to use by TYPE) Then I set my F6 key to use last tool then last target and looped it so that once i select a mining spot, i hit my F6 key and my character will continue to mine that spot. I then set my F7 key to "stop last action" so then once the vein has been depleted of ore, I simply tap my F7 key. I move to a new spot, and rinse and repeat with my F5 thru my F7 keys. I also made a "Make new pickaxe" simple script in Razor using my tinkering skill and set that to my F8 key. So now, all my mining is done much, much easier using four taps of my keyboard and a few mouse clicks. This makes mining much easier, trust me... and it also requires enough of your attention to the game that if a GM does check up on you, you won't risk getting jailed and/or banned.

Hope that helps you! :)
I do something similar with my mining macros. I have three setup.

1) Checks weight (sucks to lose ore cause you are overweight) and then brings up mining cursor by using type pickaxe (or shovel) in my backpack.
2) Last target (i usually mine by pressing these first two keys over and over -- cause I like exercise!)
3) Smelting Button - Finds the closest forge and smelts all the ore in my backpack on that forge. Keeps going till everything is in ingots.

Nanashi

Grandmaster
Thats

** Dang, nice build and setup. I am kind of on the fence with this archery vs. macer/swords/fencing provo dexxer. The only real benefit I see with archery is when you have to go fishing and kill deep elementals(Range bonus, no big deal). Using a two hander now, gives you the ability to not only swing faster but chug pots on the go. Do you really think archery is a better bet when it comes to pvm? After reading this reply, I am just about to drop archery for macing lol
Oh, by the way best cash maker is pretty much crafting,fishing,tmaps tmaps tmaps...over and over again :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Wizx13

Grandmaster
My macro dbl clicks my pick ax then the ground right beside me. I leave macro running and walk till the rock or wall I am mining starts to dig then i wait till all the ore is mined then put it in my packy and move on. Completely automated ATK mining.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I have found that using one of the oldest professions in the world works here.......................

If you need to ask "What is that?" look up soliciting.

Just saying...