Housing questions

Hello all,

I've started looking at buying a house and I had a few questions.

#1. I'm looking at getting a forge and anvil setup for the house. Can it be in the house or does it have to be on a patio or something? I was looking at buying a Small Workshop, can you just put those things on the bottom? And the stupid question, how do you get the forge and anvil?

#2. How secure are these houses? IE, with a small workshop, the bottom area is open, can you be attacked there?

#3. If you wanted a vendor, does it matter what size house you have? again small workshop? or do you need something bigger?

Thanks for the help. Don't want to buy something and not be able to use it how i want to.

the_bubba

Journeyman
#1 Forge and anvil can be placed anywhere in your home

#2 If the house is set privately people won't be able to access your doors but they'll be free to walk in the open bottom. They will not have access to anything unless they're friended or co-owner. Yes you can be attacked in the bottom.

#3 Vendors can be placed in any size house but the number of vendors you can have it is related to the size of the home. Smaller houses can have fewer vendors than larger.

Hope that helps!

yarr

Adept
It is possible to be killed inside your house even if you're inside if you're close enough to the walls on the first floor. I think people can cast earthquake or something to kill you, this happened to me once

halv

Grandmaster
Earthquake isn't killing you. You can't get killed from earthquakes in UOF. There is a way to use lighting chains. But that's not the real issue. Most people get killed inside their housea because they changed something. After changing a wall or roof tile all doors are loosing security settings.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
Earthquake isn't killing you. You can't get killed from earthquakes in UOF. There is a way to use lighting chains. But that's not the real issue. Most people get killed inside their housea because they changed something. After changing a wall or roof tile all doors are loosing security settings.
are u sure? i always understood if ur not standing in the middle tile of the floor then EQ can hit u...ive had it happen to me while i ran in my house with my thief char. they were earthquaking me through the walls

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I was under the impression EQ does a % damage to HP. After a bit the % is so low it cannot kill you. You can be EQ'd to within a few HP and then finished off with other methods.

halv

Grandmaster
are u sure? i always understood if ur not standing in the middle tile of the floor then EQ can hit u...ive had it happen to me while i ran in my house with my thief char. they were earthquaking me through the walls

With 1hp EQ isn't doing any dmg. Like hexoplex said, you can't finish chars, mobs and NPCs with EQ.

Chediak

Adept
The above about earthquake is correct, it can harm you, but not completely kill you. Two spells (meteor swarm and chain lightning) have an area-of-effect (AOE) of a 3x3 square with the tile the baddy mage is targeting as the middle. So if you are standing too close to any wall of your house, you can be harmed by these 2 spells.

Other things to note:
(1) Make sure all teleporters and doors in your house have a correct security setting.
(2) Make sure to build a complete wall around your home, especially include the NorthWest corner, which is a smaller piece

Source: I PK
  • Windows can be used to attack players
  • Missing wall tiles (corner pieces usually) allow a sliver of line of sight
  • Being in a house higher than the one your target is in can let you "see down" to get line of sign
  • Exp pots hit within 3 tiles of a wall
  • Chain Lightning or Metor Swarm also hit within 3 tiles of a wall
  • EQ hits within 7 tiles of a wall (cannot kill but reduces HP by percentage) -- can kill pets though

yarr

Adept
Source: I PK
  • Windows can be used to attack players
  • Missing wall tiles (corner pieces usually) allow a sliver of line of sight
  • Being in a house higher than the one your target is in can let you "see down" to get line of sign
  • Exp pots hit within 3 tiles of a wall
  • Chain Lightning or Metor Swarm also hit within 3 tiles of a wall
  • EQ hits within 7 tiles of a wall (cannot kill but reduces HP by percentage) -- can kill pets though

Interesting! Thanks for this detailed info.

DrSaso

Master
They can fire through Windows?! Curious! Shall have to board mine up :p

If you have Windows on the second floor and the attacker is outside at ground level cam they still use the 1st floor Windows or are you out if Los because you're a floor above? Am curious.... want to death proof the house lol

My Policy for how to feel safe in UO :

1) Log off all toons, and shut down UO.

2) Disconnect all cables from PC, and place it in a lead-lined safe.

3) Board up doors and windows on my RL home, and sit in cold cellar holding my Bat'Leth. (hehe...bat'leth.)

4. Sedatives.

Probably another stupid question.

If you buy a house, does everyone on your account become owners or have access or do they need to be given access?

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Probably another stupid question.

If you buy a house, does everyone on your account become owners or have access or do they need to be given access?
Not a stupid question. Yes, the characters on the account are considered owners as well. You can even add the characters from your other accounts the to house as co-owers or friends.

I co-owned all my characters to my main house. I did this so I could also add Friends as still have secure storage for myself. All my containers are set to co-owner and I have a few boxes set to Friends so we can trade while we weren't both on.