Fix Archer or make pots unthrowable while moving.

Streets

Grandmaster
Ok this is getting old. You can run full speed throwing purple pots never skip a step. But archery that takes as much as 300 skill points (if you take anatomy and tactics) and you are restricted to standing still to shoot!?!!

You don't even need alchemy on the too, you can make an alt to make your pots for you! How can anyone see this as unbiased?

I am getting so fed up with people not wanting things fixed because they have the cream of the crop and don't want an equal opponent.

So let's look at the disadvantages of archery (because it has range):

Only 3 weapons for the whole skill
Super slow (to balance for range)
Uses a resource (to balance for range)
Can't use pots with a bow (cause would be too powerful... What!!? o_O)
Can't use poison cause of range
Mitigated by armor
Talisman only half 1/3 useful. (Has a range requirement, what Archer would use phase shift or tread when you want to keep at range?
No special abilities because hey its ranged
Can't move and fire

How many draw backs do you need to have on a skill before you go "ok that's balanced now?)

Back on topic... Archery needs all the above drawbacks to keep it balanced YET explosion potions are allowed to do everything archery can't!? Something needs to be done to either bump archery up a little for PvP or bump explosion potions into balance!

@Shane
@eppy

Grug'Bug

Adept
sure do this, but then limit the range of archery and put a timer on it so you have to time your arrows just right!

do you really just want huge groups of nyerds with archery running at full speed and auto shooting people across the screen with 0 skill in it? Thats what running archery will get you.

My only legit complaint with archery is it seems to miss way too much, other than that its fine the way it is

Streets

Grandmaster
sure do this, but then limit the range of archery and put a timer on it so you have to time your arrows just right!

do you really just want huge groups of nyerds with archery running at full speed and auto shooting people across the screen with 0 skill in it? Thats what running archery will get you.

My only legit complaint with archery is it seems to miss way too much, other than that its fine the way it is

Hate to break it to ya bud heavy xbows are slower than the count down timer so by your own accord it should then be speed up?

Better than a group of nerds running arround with pots so yes! Or make the damage reflect how many skill points are used.. 300 for archery vs 0 for pots. Or make it when you click a pot you are rooted untill you throw it, timer can be reduced based on alchemy skill

Grug'Bug

Adept
Hate to break it to ya bud heavy xbows are slower than the count down timer so by your own accord it should then be speed up?

this has nothing to do with what i said, i said make you actually have to actively fire your bow with a timer, or you miss, or better yet, shoot yourself.

Streets

Grandmaster
Ohh come on, a 2 button press macro to time pots is far from difficult.

This is just what I was saying people that use this mechanic as a crutch are the ones that will kick and scream to keep it from being balanced correctly.

Grug'Bug

Adept
Please explain to me then why there are no PvP archers?

ive seen and had archer mages, and run with a group of a lot of archer pks... obviously archery isnt good for pvp as a stand alone skill. Neither is swords, or fencing, or macing.

lapj

Journeyman
i ran a pvp fencer/archer on a no mount server. shit was fun as hell to play. heavy xbow always got me the killing shot. on uof, everyone is zipping around like speedy gonzales with a countdown timer for their purple pots. i've adapted.

Grug'Bug

Adept
Ohh come on, a 2 button press macro to time pots is far from difficult.

This is just what I was saying people that use this mechanic as a crutch are the ones that will kick and scream to keep it from being balanced correctly.

Vastly more difficult than double clicking someone one time then running in circles. As far as your "People that use this mechanic as a crutch" comment, we dont even know eachother. Like Lapj said, just adapt and learn to play the game.

Marksiums

Novice
I agree with the getting rid of running while chucking explode potions, no skill required just push a button while running, anyone that does this can't truly pvp . That being said maybe I'm just jealous cuz I havnt taken the time to set up a auto chuck macro myself

DrSaso

Master
I'd love to see archery get moving shot! Don't think it would make a difference though..... even with 115 archery(from bow), still miss the majority of the time, and with like 3 seconds between shots and not that much damage (bow not xbow)... any moving shots that did happen to land can be healed in plenty one time before the next damaging shot xD

Streets

Grandmaster
Please keep the comments coming. I don't think we need to run and gun but something has to be done about the I'm balance and injustice here. Hell tie it into fletching if need be but give us some equality here.

Streets

Grandmaster
in regard to talismans you picked the wrong one.. try the rogue instead of the berserker

Unfortunately the zerker was the only option at the time the rogue talisman was not out yet. Plus the bonus is for cross bows not regular bows which are quicker. Also the damage modifier I thought was 130% for xbows while the zerker has a flat 200%? Lastly ruthlessness requires a poisoned target to have an effect something you can not do with archery.

I'm still hoping for a true ranger talisman but not getting hopes to high.

jkg8787

Master
Im assuming this was changed for a reason? Or is this how it was on production.

I feel like it was possibly implemented to prevent a scenario. I'm thinking like Vanq/Supreme Heavy X-Bow + Purple Potion followed up by a wand shot or something.

I dunno I'd be open to letting archer use them, just wondering if it was allowed at some point and deemed to OP or something

Streets

Grandmaster
On production shards no pots with any 2 handed weapons, at one point archery could fire on the move, and on production shards in same era you could throw 3 pots at once macro:

Arm pot 1, arm pot 2, arm pot 3. Throw pot 1 throw pot 2 throw pot 3.

Things have constantly changed on the original servers I don't know how it is now?

Streets

Grandmaster
And yes you could throw pots and drink refresh while bow equiped if I am not mistaken, but when the change was made here to let 2 pots be thrown with weapons it was just "assumed" it would be to powerful, it was never implemented for archery here.

jkg8787

Master
On production shards no pots with any 2 handed weapons, at one point archery could fire on the move, and on production shards in same era you could throw 3 pots at once macro:

Arm pot 1, arm pot 2, arm pot 3. Throw pot 1 throw pot 2 throw pot 3.

Things have constantly changed on the original servers I don't know how it is now?
Im speaking more to UOF in general but I mentioned production because I wonder if the no purple with Bows specific is UO:R production or not.

UO:F is definitely no Bow with purple. But purples with other 2H. Just wondering if that was an intentional change here or not.

Because it would obviously help to understand why it was put in, if you want it changed back