Fishing Soapbox

DHopper

Neophyte
Ok, i have to say this because I really feel that it's something that's been overlooked especially for a free shard such as this. I played the original shard over 17 years ago at a time when fishing was soooo much simpler. I made a very good living selling the MIB's and other items that I would bring up from the chests. A time when pulling up the SOS chests didn't involve having to deal with water ele's. I went to the location, dropped my line in the water to have the chest just appear in your bag. Then came the "Big Change" all of a sudden I have to kill serp's to get the MIB's and if I wanted the chest itself I had to battle not only a water ele but a deep water ele making it COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for me to continue unless I either revamped my ENTIRE skill set or attempted to drag a friend along for support. I understand that the powers that be at the time instituted this change because people were making far too much gold far too easy and it didn't fit in with their need to get paid their monthly fee. So now, here on this wonderful shard I see that nothing in that respect has changed. I just finished completing my fishermans 7th GM (Dexer) including spell resist and healing but yet STILL can't go toe to toe with both elementals even wearing a complete suit of invuln armor / shield and using an ele ban slayer wep and greater STR potions. I truly feel that there is something seriously wrong with that. At those skill lvl's with those buffs in place I should be able to deal with the elementals without issue. And to top it all off, now one has to deal with pirates constantly trying to hunt you down. It just feels like the little guy is being $#!+ on or overlooked. So, having said all of that, I will admit that a lot of really cool things have been added that greatly increase the fun and profit margins of the fisherman I.E. Whirlpools, ancient MIB's ETC. These kinds of activities are top end stuff and shouldn't be able to be accomplished solo. I get that, I truly do but to simply bring up a chest shouldn't involve having to have the "Top End" buffs / gear. so, here goes nothing....... I am ON MY KNEES BEGGING..... Please please lose the superfluous water elemental... Not the Deep Ele, just the regular one. Give the little guy a fighting (literally) chance. You are not after the monthly fee. you are not in it for the money but for the love of the game itself and in that respect I can't see why you shouldn't give this serious thought.

Thank you for your time.

DHopper

Neophyte
I may not have made this clear but back in the day pulling up the chests was the TOP END thing a fisherman could do, there wasn't anything higher at the time. That is no longer the case and shouldn't be treated as such.

Bromista

Grandmaster
This isn't the same game anymore. If you find yourself having difficulty in taking down a creature you can always use a backup char (call in yourself, not a friend!) for more damage or to heal your other char.

You probably won't like that suggestion if you're a purist but multi-clienting is a way of life in 2017.

DHopper

Neophyte
This isn't the same game anymore. If you find yourself having difficulty in taking down a creature you can always use a backup char (call in yourself, not a friend!) for more damage or to heal your other char.

You probably won't like that suggestion if you're a purist but multi-clienting is a way of life in 2017.

I understand that's the way of things now, and believe me i am glad we can do. but it still (in my opinion) shouldn't be that way for what is no longer a top end activity. Honestly do you truly believe that such a simple function should only be accomplished by running two accounts?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Honestly...there seems to be a larger problem here because I feel like, as shawn said above, there shouldn't really be too much problem handling the situation as described. An archer with a Slayer can take down a deep water ele, paragon kraken, or paragon water ele even with time.

You may need to have hotkeys set up that you don't currently. Things to disarm your bow and chug heal and cure potions. Healing is a must but make sure your bandages are actually healing and not curing. Does your build have magery? I have a fisher archer with magery myself and use magic reflect to aid with casters. Also handy for emergency heals and cures.

Now, all that being said. My advice of multi-clienting is absolutely not a must. It's a blessing and a bonus and not to be taken for granted. Because when shit hits the fan you gotta be ready to roll in whatever client you got left. You need to be able to stand alone on every character you have IMO. Never underestimate the power of a second client to help if you're in over your head, but never absolutely rely on it either.

I feel like you need to work out some kinks with your main before you start fucking with a tag team multi client setup. But I bet that once you get in the groove you'll never look back.

sshhaawwnn

Master
Im sure Brom and i have a similar if not identical build, i use bandies for main healing pots for cures and magery for emergencies.

Bromista

Grandmaster
So yeah I didn't mean to get the cart too far ahead of the horse. But if you do feel comfortable handling two clients I would recommend doing so any time you find yourself needing that extra push to kill whatever BS you just fished up and have to deal with lol

Bromista

Grandmaster
#1 best advice in PvM, PvP, whatever it is if you are dealing with casters or things that poison you gotta make sure bandages are healing, not curing. Do that and you can handle anything.

Oh and don't forget to use cannons.

DHopper

Neophyte
oh and don't forget to use cannons.[/QUOTE]
#1 best advice in PvM, PvP, whatever it is if you are dealing with casters or things that poison you gotta make sure bandages are healing, not curing. Do that and you can handle anything.

Oh and don't forget to use cannons.

Ok... these are all valid points and i'm sure that once I reach the place where im able to do them I will be happy. But My point is still the same in which having two ele's spawn is outdated and unnecessary and I believe was simply overlooked when the next level of fishing activities was introduced. Pulling up the chests is the fishermans bread and butter and vitaly necessary to their income potential. Yes, I can, and do sell the MIB's Nets ETC. on my vendors but to do so is a relativly slow monitary gain. I pull in approx. 100 - 150k a week with three vendors (in very good locations) and constantly have a large overstock of of my wears. Im sorry if I come off as whinning but when you work hard to build your skills and can't do the One thing you want to do...It's frustrating.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Slayers are easy to get. Go kill a few fishermen and you'll be set for life with water slayer bows. They key is using the slayer to kill the regular water elemental first, not the deep water; take it out in one or two shots before they both aggro you. Then it's just a matter of surviving the 3-4 flamestrikes (bandages do plenty, with maybe one heal pot and/or 2 In Manis and/or one In Vas Mani); once they blow their mana, just pluck away.

Another option if that's still too much is getting a second small ship, placing it and sailing outside of magery range (bows shoot further than spells) and pluck at 'em from there (you should have a spare cutter anyway - they're cheap and immensely useful). Also have your fisherman hide while fishing so he doesn't get flagged instantly when they spawn.

Lastly, if you have a galleon, you can fish up the mibs on the bow and run to the stern to shoot them dead. The galleon class ships are long enough to put you in extreme bow ranges.

DHopper

Neophyte
Slayers are easy to get. Go kill a few fishermen and you'll be set for life with water slayer bows. They key is using the slayer to kill the regular water elemental first, not the deep water; take it out in one or two shots before they both aggro you. Then it's just a matter of surviving the 3-4 flamestrikes (bandages do plenty, with maybe one heal pot and/or 2 In Manis and/or one In Vas Mani); once they blow their mana, just pluck away.

Another option if that's still too much is getting a second small ship, placing it and sailing outside of magery range (bows shoot further than spells) and pluck at 'em from there (you should have a spare cutter anyway - they're cheap and immensely useful). Also have your fisherman hide while fishing so he doesn't get flagged instantly when they spawn.

Lastly, if you have a galleon, you can fish up the mibs on the bow and run to the stern to shoot them dead. The galleon class ships are long enough to put you in extreme bow ranges.

What is fisherman hide ? havent heared of this?

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
What is fisherman hide ? havent heared of this?
"Have your fisherman hide" - the Hiding skill. Disappear, vanish, obfuscate, up and gone like a fart in the wind. This way when the mobs spawn there isn't an immediate target for them.

I ran my main (Brandon - Archery/Wrestling/Swords/Tactics/Anatomy/Magery/Resist/Healing) with my fisher (Mister Killik - Fishing/Hiding/Stealth/Stealing/Snooping/Magery/Tracking) but my fisher didn't put up any kind of a fight. It is depressingly easy to kill the standard the water/deep combo from mibs. The ancients with two deeps can get a little hairy - shoot one to start the mana dumping and focus on defense (healing through the flamestrikes) - but it's still doable. Same applies for Osiredons. If you have the magery for it, cast some EVs to keep 'em busy (won't work on the Osiredons, though, FYI).

Keep your magic reflect up, too, and you'll knock back some of that garbage, wasting their mana.