1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Grand Master Invitational!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Shane, Jun 20, 2018.

1. StegcO

StegcO Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    StegcO

thestand, Klm and Shane like this.
  2. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    This sounds like it's going to be a ton of fun - unfortunately I have family in town - so my fishing is going to be severely limited! Hope you all have a great time, and someone catches a big lunker!

3. DeezKnots

DeezKnots Member

May 31, 2018
    DeezKnots
    so its sunday whats up with this event?!?!?

4. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    It's been going since 7am. Check original post, thank you!

5. Godsrage

Godsrage Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Godsrage
    how long will this event be Shane

6. DeezKnots

DeezKnots Member

May 31, 2018
    DeezKnots
    i know i posted that at 1 am this morning lol

7. Suikoden

Suikoden Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Public Service Announcement!

Due to the extension of the fishing tournament the RiS Pirates have left the bar and are now in search of booty and plunder!

If you are still in search of help/support for the fishing tourney we would like to extend the option to temporarily join our side alliance guild. The roster will be cleared at the end of the event. This will allow you to be green to incoming pirates and alliance chat to call out other pirates during the week. It will also give increased access to ask questions and in game assistance from naval vets.

Don't forget to "Scan the horizons" & to put ship ruins in bank or house box.

Please reach out to Suikoden13 [RiS] in http://discord.uoforever.com to be guilded in the temporary alliance guild.

Desi, halv and AreYouKidden like this.
  8. A'zah

A'zah Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2014
    A'Zah, Trill
    such a cool event so happy to hear it is going on until friday, i made a fisher just for this

9. Swango

Swango Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Swango
    I quit turning in neon fish because 100% of the time I get the bait message. Could it be a client issue?

10. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    No it's similar to the turkey event - if you turn in and it's not a top 10% or top 25 fish or some number, you get the ooh that's a small one message, and if you turn in one that is a contender, you get the trophy message.

11. Godsrage

Godsrage Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Godsrage
    I did 65 Mibs last night fish are bait fish out of 4 out of the 64 were trophy i think i am up to 5 trophy for this event

12. Juke83

Juke83 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Juke
    Jukes
    Flukes
    Swango, turn in those little fish! I think the smallest and largest of each turn in gets a reward in the end

13. Swango

Swango Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Swango
    Seeing "you lose" over and over gain, after awhile I'm just "Naww ..."

14. Kyain

Kyain Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Kyain
    Cyain
    So eppy actually clarified this a bit last night in http://discord.uoforever.com

"That is quite a trophy indeed" meant you were within 30 stones of the top fish (or the top fish itself). So naturally, the longer this even plays out, the higher the average weight of the top fish becomes.

That makes perfect sense why trophies were harder to come by near the end of the event. In reality, if you were turning in during the last hour, and you actually did get a trophy (which again, were rare at the end) it meant you were likely one of the top 20 to 30 turnins.

I honestly prefer this method, because it's the only way you can really get a real time understanding of where you're sitting in the tourney. The only other option would be just completely random messages not tied to weight and then nobody has any clue at all.

15. BananaKill

BananaKill Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2017
    We're the rewards given out for this?

16. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    THE FISHING TOURNAMENT HAS COME TO AN END.

We will be dispersing rewards very soon!
    Here are the results:

----------

TOTAL TURN-INS: 15968

HIGHEST 10 WEIGHTS :

• Ball Chinian 362
    • Aureloria 360
    • Merrman 354
    • Salty Peter 348
    • G sus 348
    • Thanatos 346
    • Neira Killer 345
    • BubbaGumpShrimp 344
    • Salty Peter 344
    • Talho Yuki 344

LOWEST 10 WEIGHTS :
    • Dill Bance 198
    • AnotherAltName 200
    • Ball Chinian 202
    • Down Be lo 203
    • Chum Ur Mum 206
    • Dill Bance 208
    • NIRVANAA 208
    • Merrman 209
    • Talho Yuki 210
    • NIRVANAA 211

TOP TURN INS :
    • Chum Ur Mum 2165
    • Merrman 1337
    • Talho Yuki 1017
    • Based Haze 894
    • Dill Bance 566
    • Salty Peter 431
    • NIRVANAA 428
    • Caspian. 387
    • Yarumian 362
    • AnotherAltName 339

Here are the rewards that were possible to obtain in this event.
    (We will update this post with how we hand these rewards out soon).

[​IMG]

17. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017

You wouldn't prefer a system where you could talk to the turn in guy, and find out the current top 10 people/weights, and what place you currently were in? I'm really not a fan of the hidden results, random system, it really gave me no incentive to push harder at all. But I do appreciate the event being put out there, staff does a great job of putting out updates on a regular basis here.

I've got some ideas on a new system for these tournaments that I think would work really well, I really need to put them into a proper post but I envision a system with a live well, where you catch 5 fish, and it takes the total combined weight. Once full, it if you add a fish past capacity, it removes the lowest weight from the live well so you keep the 5 heaviest fish.

This live well would be loot-able if you were killed (think pirates hunting fishers) and could not be banked. If you wanted to push for a higher weight in your live-well to turn in, you take more risk by keeping it on you longer.

And total transparency on the weights of your fish in the live well, non of this hidden results thing.

The concept could be adapted for turkey traps, holding 5 turkeys, so it'd be a similar scenario, or for any other critter you want to use from a trapping perspective.. rabbits.. bears (might be unreasonable to carry 5 bears around.... ). To me the fact that you can employ some strategy to the tournament would be a lot more compelling than just catch one, turn it in within 5 minutes.

lollo, Kyain and andrewlcaudill23 like this.
  18. Kyain

Kyain Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Kyain
    Cyain
    Yes and No

Would more granularity on what you've turned in be nice, well yes it would be, but I think that would also get people to push to a certain point and then just flat out stop. Like if you knew you were top weight, you could just sit back and drink a martini early on. (Aureloria posted the 2nd biggest fish on the first day of tourney)

I do like the fish hold idea, but that's a bit more programming and mechanics that need to be added, which certainly could be done in the future, but is not easily implemented at this time.

I think your idea would also be more realistic to a few hour tournament. Like a real life bass tournament. The current event, albeit extended unexpectedly and created lots of complaints, was a far better way to get more people involved over the course of it. I also think that had people known of the rewards before hand, I think undeniably more would have participated.

It's a shame at the outrage of what could have been good rewards for those that genuinely joined into a server event not knowing anything was possible. It really showed the difference between people that just enjoy the fun of it and a community event compared to those that are only in it for themselves IMHO

19. Kyain

Kyain Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Kyain
    Cyain
    Guess I can't edit, because I wanted to add that really at this point we still don't know what any of the rewards are. Some that were posted and that were also discussed apparently set off a storm in http://discord.uoforever.com from various parties which I only read fractions of.

We're just waiting for Shane and Eppy to get it all straightened out at the moment.

20. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    The live well idea could work over multiple days, in the sense that you get 1 entry in the tournament, that counts on the leader board, however you could continue to do more and more live wells up until the end of the tournament, and if you put in a higher weight than your previous efforts, it just replaces your previous entry, so that each person could only win once, and they'd have incentive to keep going.

Also, if someone had a high weight off the bat, and wanted to sit back and coast, shame on them if someone surpassed them. In the livewell scenario, you are more likely to put in an entry, then work towards a higher entry, holding your live well longer and longer, making it riskier and riskier that pirate PK's and steals it.. I think it could create a really fun dynamic to the whole tournament, with strategy, intrigue and risk.

The randomness of the event, not knowing where you place doesn't feel competitive to me at all, which is why i guess it doesn't really ingratiate itself with me, where seeing a leader board would push me to do better... Granted the last few hours of the competition, people might give up, but if it's more fun over all isn't that better?