Fame/Karma Recalibration

Amalgam

Journeyman
It has been my observation that Lord/Lady status means diddly - and it is quite normal to be Great and Glorious.

I would like to suggest that the accumulation of fame and karma be calibrated to take into account how easy it is (as a Tamer especially) to become a Lord/Lady.

Reserve the top tier of fame/karma for those which have surely earned it. Acknowledge also that murder (and snooping!) should lead to the immediate loss of this top tier and probably the loss of all positive karma thus accrued.

I would suggest that the accumulation of fame and karma follow a more geometric curve.

14_06.jpg

The jump from Great to Glorious should be a particular challenge and the overall objective is that a Glorious Lord/Lady may actually deserve the title!

It would also be nice to dramatically reset everyone's fame and karma to zero at the same time.

Any similar ideas?

Messremb

Grandmaster
I don't really disagree with anything your saying, but what would be the point. The titles don't mean anything and still wouldn't under your new system.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Amalgam

Journeyman
Due to the titles not meaning anything, which is possibly the point, there's no harm in messing around with the sliders.

I'd be happy to see both ends of the spectrum more attributable to activity by sticking a couple zeros on the amount required to achieve it.

Messremb

Grandmaster
In My experience, "there's no harm" has never gotten development resources assigned to anything. The fact is the harm is eating up a developers time to change something that has no positive repercussions. So I ask again, what is the point? How does this benefit the server. If you come up with some realistic and viable way to make titles matter then maybe this would be something worth the time of the developers. But keep in mind, the more resources you want the more value the results need to bring.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Amalgam

Journeyman
"There's no harm" is probably better replaced with "There's nothing to lose". (Don't mind me at all, btw).

In the near future, I hope you won't mind if I begin squatting in the suggestion forums throwing out observations which disregard the time taken to code a change?

I'm a bit of a UO Observationalist who has just returned to UO and I'm ready to get all irrelevant on your ass.

Fame/Karma is one of those things which don't invoke core mechanics and can be used and tweaked globally to reflect the overall state of achievement of a playerbase. By the looks of things, the top end could do with a tweak.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Since you called it out - I agree with the problem - it is meaningless, however the solution doesn't change much. It may take people longer to gain the title, and easier to lose it, but it'll still be meaningless. Eventually all tamers will get there and others will fight to get there..

Let's make it meaningful...
  • Introduce daily karma decay (so you can't keep your Lord/Lady title without activity
  • only the top 1% of all karma on the server get the Lord/Lady title (no set levels)
  • open up Lord British's castle to only Lord's/Lady's, and put an incentive for going in there - cheap regs (since factions isn't doing it/using it)
Make it a fight, a struggle to retain your Lordship... A competition even, with the ability for PK's to knock it down a notch, or another to surpass you from their good deeds of monster slaying.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
Since you called it out - I agree with the problem - it is meaningless, however the solution doesn't change much. It may take people longer to gain the title, and easier to lose it, but it'll still be meaningless. Eventually all tamers will get there and others will fight to get there..

Let's make it meaningful...
  • Introduce daily karma decay (so you can't keep your Lord/Lady title without activity
  • only the top 1% of all karma on the server get the Lord/Lady title (no set levels)
  • open up Lord British's castle to only Lord's/Lady's, and put an incentive for going in there - cheap regs (since factions isn't doing it/using it)
Make it a fight, a struggle to retain your Lordship... A competition even, with the ability for PK's to knock it down a notch, or another to surpass you from their good deeds of monster slaying.
perks for the title is the only thing that makes it worth it. (love the lord british castle idea)