1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FACTIONS: Incentives, your ideas and why?

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Hey everyone,
    As most of you have noticed we have recently disabled the entire faction system. We are revamping certain aspects, adding things, removing things, and generally making factions an over-all more fun, and rewarding thing to be a part of and factions will be back this weekend here. We have currently done quiet a bit already, but i think this is an excellent topic to get feedback from any/all person(s).

**PLEASE Respond by copy/pasting the questions with the answers. Every single other post will be deleted.
    What we would like to know from you guys:

IF YOU DO NOT PLAY FACTIONS:
    WHAT WOULD GET YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN FACTIONS?

DOES FACTIONS INTIMIDATE YOU?, IF SO, WHY?

IF FACTIONS WERE REVAMPED IN A WAY THAT PVM/CRAFTING WAS EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE AS WELL AS REWARDING, WOULD YOU JOIN?

IF YOU PLAY FACTIONS:
    WHAT IN YOUR EYES, NEEDS REMOVING?

WHAT ADDITIONS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

WHICH IMBALANCES RUN WITHIN THE RECENT FACTION SYSTEM IN YOUR EYES?

WHICH IS THE BEST PART OF THE RECENT FACTION SYSTEM?

IF YOU COULD PICK ONE, WHICH ADDITION WOULD YOU MAKE TO FACTIONS?

Current Proposed Changes
    Faction Sigils
    • Sigils will now give bonuses
      • Sigil of Haste - This sigil will double a factions capture speed at points of power.
      • Sigil of Animal Affinity - Animals that you have a chance of controlling will now have a 100% control chance while your faction controls this sigil. Animals will also benefit from a 10% boost in skill gain.
      • Sigil of Wisdom - All members in the faction that control this sigil will benefit from a 5% increased skill gain. This will stack with the point of wisdom. Meta pets will also gain experience at 1.5x the normal rate.
      • Sigil of Craftsmanship - All items will have a flat 10% increase in crafting chance.
      • Sigil of the Bountiful Harvest - Resources gathered is increased by 30%.
      • Sigil of Wealth - Gold and silver drops are increased by 10%.
      • Sigil of Treasure - Monsters have a chance to drop a goody bag.
      • Sigil of Portals - Random chance for a portal to spawn a second entrance in the controlling factions base.
      • Sigil of Murder - Allow the use of faction weapons on regular players.
    • Sigil capture time has been reworked to increase sigil fights.
    • Sigils once again require stealing.
    • A small timer will be initiated when a sigil thief attempts to remove a sigil from its monolith. During this time, the thief must remain near the sigil to continue trying to remove it. A faction message which indicates which sigil is being stolen will be broadcast to all factions when this occurs.
    Faction Colors
    • New colors have been assigned to each faction.
    Faction Joining Restrictions
    • You can now only join one faction per IP.
    • Only one account on your IP can join factions. - REMOVED
    • Only 2 characters on your chosen account can join factions. - REMOVED
    • Faction statloss will apply to both characters on your account when you die.
    • Faction statloss has been increased to 5 minutes.
    • Factions will now have a cap. When the faction with the largest # of members has 10 above the next largest, it will no longer be joinable until a new faction eclipses it in membership. Large guilds can still join other smaller factions even if they are very close in number to the next largest faction.
    Faction Ethics
    • New faction ethic titles have been created.
    • Ethic spellbooks will now be able to gain levels by using lifeforce points on them. Levels will power up the ethic spells.
    Faction Traps
    • Faction traps will once again be quite lethal.
    Faction War Horses
    • Faction war horses are receiving a significant buff.
    Faction War Map
    • A small gump has been completed which will show the location of sigils at all times. This will be useful when you are trying to track down someone stealing a sigil.
    • The warmap will display town statistics such as the current tax rate, who controls it and what the sigil bonus gives.
    Faction Cities
    • The sigil located in Magincia has been moved to Nujelm.
    • Ocllo will now have a sigil.
    Magincia - WIP
    • Magincia has been rebuilt and the CoM faction will once again be located there
    • WIP - Magincia capture points/war games
      • Magincia will now have several capture points. These capture points will become active once every few days. When they are active, factions can gain points by controlling them. The more capture points you have, the more points your faction will accumulate per tick. The faction with the most points at the end of 24 hours will control the town of Magincia and its new dungeon.
    • A new faction-centric island has arisen from the depths of the ocean. This island is located to the east of Magincia. This island will have housing plots and a few secrets.
    New Factions Rewards
    • The faction vendors will be wiped in the next week along with all accumulated silver. - REMOVED
    • Silver will have a new property added to it to determine what faction season it was from. Old season silver will not be usable on the new silve vendor. However, it can still be used on the old vendor. New season silver can be turned into old tier silver by combining it with a silver stack from an older tier.
    • New useful and tradeable rewards will be added to the vendor. No more deco items :)
    • Blood explosion aesthetic talisman relic. Explode your foes in a rain of blood and body parts.
    • Owned/Noob flag. Place a flag on enemy corpses and let them know how much they suck.
    General
    • When a red faction member is killed by an opposing faction, his corpse will not be carvable. -IMPLEMENTED
    • Faction point atrophy will now begin 72 hours after your last kill - up from 47 hours. - IMPLEMENTED
    • To be safe from atrophy prior to this, you had a 33% chance to be set to safe on a kill and a 100% chance to be safe when you died. This has been changed to 100% safety on both a death and kill. This should fix issues with point atrophy.-IMPLEMENTED
    • You can once again mount while in combat (unless the mount is a nightmare). - IMPLEMENTED
    • A faction reprieve for reds will be added. It can be used once per character - IMPLEMENTED
    • Faction vendors can once again be placed wherever you'd like within a town region.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
    5 people like this.
  2. SirOdious

SirOdious Novice

Jan 7, 2015
    SirOdious
    World Metals Co
    Understanding factions, is there a tutorial anywhere to read?

10 people like this.
  3. CorbynDallas

CorbynDallas Master

Dec 1, 2014
    Corbyn Dallas, Memphis Reigns
    So tired of people making red factioners so that they cant be stated by anyone but factions. They can come kill you, but if you fight back and kill them you cant take their head. This is why so many people put their reds in factions. If I cant take their head, then they shouldn't be able to attack me. I am sure so many you are going to rage on this post, but you are probably one of the people exploiting this.

No matter if you are factions or not, you go red anyone should be able to take your head.

10 people like this.
  4. Bad Boy SworN

Bad Boy SworN Apprentice

Nov 24, 2014
    Reverend Maynard

Being able to teleport in/into faction bases. SL specifically with being able to teleport onto the roof from outside, and that red teleporter shouldn't be there inside base.

12 people like this.
  5. TheMessy

TheMessy Neophyte

Feb 10, 2015

I quit before factions were around in classic UO.

I just want to know is it pvp all the time anytime vs the other factions? Because not being able to bank kinda sucks haha...

(I am pretty new to this server)

3 people like this.
  6. Lord Hampton Royce

Lord Hampton Royce Grandmaster

Feb 24, 2014
    you actually dont need to use a thief at all. you can capture with 0 thieving skill.

5 people like this.
  7. HatE.BrEEd

HatE.BrEEd Master

Mar 25, 2014
    Make the sparkle teleporters in despise spawn and other areas considered the same as gates. I flag so many factioners and they just run out and come right back. It's annoying as hell ! It's basically a free rescue gate for them.

8. bradley-

bradley- Grandmaster

Jan 28, 2013

• If the cool death shroud couldn't get me to join, I don't know what will

• The very best PvPers on the server play in factions. I am mediocre at best...
    • Those who are not the very best roll around in squads of 8+ (from what I can tell)
    • People who are active in factioning usually have a character in 3 of the 4 factions (different faction on each of their 3 accounts) which allows them to play the field to their advantage

IF FACTIONS WERE REVAMPED IN A WAY THAT PVM/CRAFTING WAS EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE AS WELL AS REWARDING, WOULD YOU JOIN?
    • As a PvMer, I can't think of any situation where any kind of PvM benefit would convince me to join. I don't want to be out farming and have that 8-man squad roll up on me.. That would just stress me out when I want to relax and play UO

9 people like this.
  9. SidX

SidX Grandmaster

Jun 4, 2014
    Sid
    I'm not in a faction but if you're in the heat of combat , you shouldn't be able to run into a faction base for safety. Or at least if you're the one who aggro'd.

Also it would be cool if, as a thief in a faction, you could kill other faction players without getting booted from the Thieve's Guild (is this already how it works? Never got into factions...)

10. CorbynDallas

CorbynDallas Master

Dec 1, 2014
    Corbyn Dallas, Memphis Reigns
    IF YOU DO NOT PLAY FACTIONS:WHAT WOULD GET YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN FACTIONS?
    I don't have any factions characters because I just don't know much about them and the benefit besides getting an extra PS at champ spawns.
    Though just off the top of my head, putting in a faction dungeon that drops faction armor and crafting items would force more people to join in order to get into that dungeon. Could have certain sections of the dungeon that have benefits for each factions that your order could go to for support help.
    There could also be sections of the dungeon that if you capture(lets say three towers) you get a benefit for your faction in that dungeon(extra gold drop/luck chance increase/str increase/int increase...etc.) Also if there was a main boss in there some where and your faction kills that boss, the whole faction gets a world buff for like an hour(5 extra str maybe and it could change each time/maybe hit chance increase for an hour IDK just throwing ideas out there) Wow has something like this in certain zones for the horde and alliance, it would cause huge pvp server fights.
    Things like this would entice me to start a factioner.

Depends on the changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
    5 people like this.
  11. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

THINK HARDER.

7 people like this.
  12. wreckognize

wreckognize Grandmaster

Jan 21, 2013

I always wished we could have a system where you had to break down a door inside of another factions base and capture their NPC 'faction hero'. Some users might remember Rel Por's system. I think door breaking code could even have some uses in other parts of UOF as well, like the boat system.

13. Sapperman

Sapperman Grandmaster

Jun 14, 2013

There should be very stiff penalties for factioners killing folks from the same faction. This entirely undermines the point of factions. If you kill a faction member from your own faction more than say 5 times(lifetime), you are permanently removed from the faction, if that happens to all four factions then you cannot play factions anymore. Make it account wide. Gives folks plenty of chances.

Second, as was stated previously one faction per IP, so you don't have faction spies. Why does red/blue work better than factioners? Because guilds are tight knit goups of people. Factions should be able to provide the same.

This will be unpopular but apply a handicap to damage for the top tier factioner compared to the low tier. Maybe apply it after so many deaths or as a spread of score but basically what it would allow is inexperienced pvpers/factioners the ability to compete once in a while. Once the player starts getting kills, the handicap is removed. The learning curve is tough in UO and for many its not worth the time to compete with some dude who has been doing nothing but pvp for the past 10 years. Why bother.

Remove all reds from factions, period. If your a murderer you don't benefit from the "noble" consensual pvp environment. Before all the bitching starts, its super easy to make a blue toon to run factions so bitching is irrelevant.

Also, remove good/ evil, once again for upper echelon pvpers it is OP, for casual or beginners its frustrating to try and compete. In Seige where Good/Evil exists, Evil chars were red so it aligned better, here makes no sense. Perhaps make a good/evil system to replace the order/chaos system nobody uses. Make it a red/blue system that promotes red/blue pvp in a similiar way that factions promote blue/blue consensual pvp.

6 people like this.
  14. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    My time in factions was limited and I ran solo, so I figured it would be easier to just do the top part.

I found factions to be quite intimidating. It's no secret that most of the guys involved have been pvping with each other for years. Most of them are not recruiting into their guilds and most guild leaders don't have the time or man power to start a faction guild and recruit into it. I blame champion spawns and taming in general for the lack of interest. Go farm with my dragons and do a champ or die and lose all my stuff? That means I have to go to my house and get more stuff! UO players don't like getting stuff. If they did, the butler would be a total failure and I've yet to mee someone who doesn't like it.

I think the best way to help crafting as a whole and adding something new to factions would be to introduce faction rewards into the bod system. This would give incentive for new players and factioners who have come here from other servers to try something new and different. At least for them. Maybe a small silver reward for bod turn ins? However, I think to be able to pull this kind of thing off, brit crafting would have to be a safe zone, or possibly have a safe crafting zone in each base. There would be pros and cons to both of those ideas.

IF YOU PLAY FACTIONS:

The color of TB's robe. Ugliest hue ever.

I would like to see something going down on the water. Either water mobs dropping silver or something viable for factions coming from whirlpools. I think this would also get more people involved in pirating.

Ganking. But there isn't much that can be done about that I don't think.

#crafting

4 people like this.
  15. Shake

Shake Master

Jun 13, 2013
    WHAT IN YOUR EYES, NEEDS REMOVING? The atrophy system. Points mean nothing when you can gain/lose 20 in a day for doing nothing.

Rewards for capping/defending sigils and holding towns/points of bloodshed.

WHICH IS THE BEST PART OF THE RECENT FACTION SYSTEM?
    The points around the world (point of bloodshed etc.).
    IF YOU COULD PICK ONE, WHICH ADDITION WOULD YOU MAKE TO FACTIONS? Sigils and punkte actually mean something.

3 people like this.
  16. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I played Rel Por(from BETA to almost death), and i agree. That was a pretty cool, yet not SUPER WELL thought out system.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
    3 people like this.
  17. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

AGREE with this.

7 people like this.
  18. Babethoven

Babethoven Grandmaster

Oct 4, 2013
    personally
    rushing a whole revamped system isnt the point here

i'd like to see a UOF OWN system here, we have dedicated players, its just alot of people who are willing to hop on a test shard and test out new things only play at nights/ or weekend etc etc etc

kingship/factions combined!!!!!!!!!!!!

AT LEAST +1 BENEFIT FOR PLAYIGN A RED FACTIONER FFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

19. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

What we plan on doing is put in the base system, then built/add onto it BASED on what suggestions and over-all educated and experienced valuable thoughtful information we receive.

5 people like this.
  20. Jani

Jani Grandmaster

Jul 29, 2014
    Pretty much this. The atrophy system rewards active factioners which is nice, but it is stupid how you have to die as well to get the benefits. I'd make it a bit longer and requiring only kills. If punkte meant more, I think people would be even more afraid to die(?) Not sure if this would be good.

@Shane http://www.uoforum.com/threads/collective-faction-idea-thread.48315/ <- my faction guild idea might be worth considering. Some other good ideas there there as well.These guilds would be even better if some active pvper was their gm :) I think some people don't play factions cos they don't have friends/guilds and active faction guilds aren't recruiting much. They get zerged few times and leave. Soloing in factions is not easy, especially you're not very experienced elite pvper.

What I'd like to see in factions is more players and guilds. Also I miss faction base fights. I dunno how to fix it.

6 people like this.