Enhanced Client, let's beat that dead horse good and proper

Malthus

Neophyte
So, with the expansion having successfully launched, might this have any possibility of seeing the light of day? There is certainly demand for the option to use it.

I've played with the EC quite a lot of Siege Perilous. Once you get used to it, it's difficult to move back to assistants like Razor *gag* and the jitter of the legacy client, not to mention the dated and clunky UI. Of course, I much prefer the UOF ruleset so the OPTION to use it here would be amazing.

Would a... "donation" ;) from interested players help get the ball rolling?

Malthus

Neophyte
The enhanced client is EA's latest, and probably last attempt at updating the UO client.

There was the 3D client which was UNIVERSALLY badly received for very good reason. Then there was the Kingdom Reborn client which had a lot of mixed feelings around it, but overall had a negative response. A lot of that negativity was based around the drastic change to the art style of the game. There was positivity around other aspects though. Much better ingame macros making external assistants redundant, much more "fluid" gameplay, especially for animations and movement which you have to see or play to fully see the difference. Most importantly, the much more modern and less clunky UI and hotbar.

The Kingdom Reborn client was taken back to the drawing board after (official) user feedback. The next iteration is the current Enhanced Client (EC). The EC has been WIDELY adopted by players on the official UO shards. It strikes a very good balance between modern and classic (depending on your opinion GRAPHICALLY of course) while retaining the strengths of the Kingdom Reborm UI with an absolute TON of bug fixes. The EC is NOT a 3D client, it is majority 2D. Using the same old graphics we've seen over the years for the environment, with a little bit of 3D for particle effects and models within a modern client and UI.

Preference is of absolute importance. It's not for everyone, especially with UOF being very keen on nostalgia. But there's certainly no reason to deny people the UOF experience within a modern client (and EA's truly BEST attempt at modernizing the UO client).

bane

Master
The enhanced client is EA's latest, and probably last attempt at updating the UO client.

There was the 3D client which was UNIVERSALLY badly received for very good reason. Then there was the Kingdom Reborn client which had a lot of mixed feelings around it, but overall had a negative response. A lot of that negativity was based around the drastic change to the art style of the game. There was positivity around other aspects though. Much better ingame macros making external assistants redundant, much more "fluid" gameplay, especially for animations and movement which you have to see or play to fully see the difference. Most importantly, the much more modern and less clunky UI and hotbar.

The Kingdom Reborn client was taken back to the drawing board after (official) user feedback. The next iteration is the current Enhanced Client (EC). The EC has been WIDELY adopted by players on the official UO shards. It strikes a very good balance between modern and classic (depending on your opinion GRAPHICALLY of course) while retaining the strengths of the Kingdom Reborm UI with an absolute TON of bug fixes. The EC is NOT a 3D client, it is majority 2D. Using the same old graphics we've seen over the years for the environment, with a little bit of 3D for particle effects and models within a modern client and UI.

Preference is of absolute importance. It's not for everyone, especially with UOF being very keen on nostalgia. But there's certainly no reason to deny people the UOF experience within a modern client (and EA's truly BEST attempt at modernizing the UO client).
I did like your post... But, there is possibly a reason to deny EC client. If supporting it will take away resources (dev time mainly) from the next expansion or other content the I would say leave it with old school UO client.

I have never ran a UO server so am not sure what all is involved in supporting the EC client so don't know if this would be a one time hit or a constant drain. If it is a one time hit I would say target it for after the next expansion in three months. If it is a constant drain I would ask that the devs not worry about it.

Supporting two clients would potentially mean testing new features twice.

Malthus

Neophyte
I did like your post... But, there is possibly a reason to deny EC client. If supporting it will take away resources (dev time mainly) from the next expansion or other content the I would say leave it with old school UO client.

I have never ran a UO server so am not sure what all is involved in supporting the EC client so don't know if this would be a one time hit or a constant drain. If it is a one time hit I would say target it for after the next expansion in three months. If it is a constant drain I would ask that the devs not worry about it.

Supporting two clients would potentially mean testing new features twice.

There would definitely be an upfront development cost which would take away time initially from whatever else is on the roadmap. A lot of the ground work of that development however has been covered by the RunUO/ServUO community.

Long term, supporting the two clients shouldn't be a constant drain. What works in the one client will work in the other as EA has standardized this between both clients.

Malthus

Neophyte
*Last kick of a dying horse*

Honestly I thought more supporters would chime into this thread. I know from just searching though the board people have brought up EC support numerous times.... unless they've moved on,

Army11b

Expert
Old thread and I am late but from the videos I have seen, the enhanced client looks pretty nice. Hopefully there will be support for it.

halygon

Grandmaster
We have talked about it and there is some very light support out there for it on runuo shards, however it isn't something that is super stable. It would be a nice alternative to some folks though. Also keep in mind that Razor and UOSteam do not work with it.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I'm for this if no other reason than that this gives all the advantages of sallos, razor, or assistUO, and would seemingly make the 'who cheats' argument a non-issue; I'm assuming official clients would be very hard to cheat.

We have talked about it and there is some very light support out there for it on runuo shards, however it isn't something that is super stable. It would be a nice alternative to some folks though. Also keep in mind that Razor and UOSteam do not work with it.

Sallos is far from stable also unfortunately... Solo Sallos PvPing end result = 50/50 getting statted by players vs statted by client crash.

I think we'd run into the issue though that the people that are responsible for making Sallos more stable are probably also the right minds for the EC compatibility project. Working on one would rob the polishing of the other... I just want A client (sallos or EC) that doesn't make my eyes feel like i'm having a seizure whenever i'm moving (Razor/UOS).

+1 for looking into the EC though if it doesn't take away from making Sallos more stable.

I also think it would be a great advertising point for the shard that you have the ability as a player to choose between playing old school (razor/UOS), semi modern (sallos) and modern (EC).

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
Sallos is far from stable also unfortunately... Solo Sallos PvPing end result = 50/50 getting statted by players vs statted by client crash.

I think we'd run into the issue though that the people that are responsible for making Sallos more stable are probably also the right minds for the EC compatibility project. Working on one would rob the polishing of the other... I just want A client (sallos or EC) that doesn't make my eyes feel like i'm having a seizure whenever i'm moving (Razor/UOS).

+1 for looking into the EC though if it doesn't take away from making Sallos more stable.
I have my best kills during UOS-enabled seizures... just ride the wave.