Eliminate PKs

Ryking

Neophyte
@Shane @allpks

PKing is game sanctioned griefing. There is no value to it as a play style or to the enjoyment of the game. It is a flaw that was corrected by OSI with the advent of Trammel and every MMO since. Let me explain...

It's griefing because it allows one player to ruin the enjoyment of another. You call it a play style, but that is just an excuse. If the way you get your fun is by ruining mine, you're a griefer, period. There is no other form of player interaction in which one player intentionally and maliciously does harm to another player and it's not considered griefing.

"It brings back the nostalgia of the game" or "It puts the fear back into going into a dungeon" - Oh please. I've been playing since 98 and I ran my own server for a while and I can tell you that during that time I have never heard anyone say to me, "this is great, but I wish someone would come and kill me and take all my stuff". I've never heard anyone say "ahh man I just got pk'd, that was awesome!" The truth is this is just a fallacy. If it were true, why not eliminate lock downs in housing? Don't you miss the days when someone would sneak into your house and clean it out when you logged from the game? If you want a challenge in the dungeons, create harder dungeons.

"I enjoy pvp" - Well that's not pvp. Player vs Player combat involves two or more consenting players duking it out. It's a game of skill which takes a long time to master. I respect the hell out of pvpers because I've seen what it takes to practice it and many of them are far better gamers than I am. What you're doing is sucker punching some innocent bystander. That's like saying you're a pro-boxer and then going out and decking some poor guy on the street and stealing his wallet. If PKs truly do enjoy pvp, why is that reds don't attack other reds? (Maybe some do, but I've read that many don't). It's bullying. I don't mean for this to be an attack, I'm simply trying to open your eyes to the truth. If you enjoy pvp, join a faction or pvp guild and play with like minded players and have fun. I applaud you for it.

"There's no challenge to pvm" - First, blame your GM. They should be doing more than just blocking off an area in Ilshenar and calling it a new dungeon. Second, if you wanted a challenge you wouldn't be picking on innocent players just trying to have a good time.

"But I role play a murderer" - still just an excuse for most. Role players use a certain code or set of rules which govern how they interact. If you want to pretend to be a role player, where is your bio, or your community, or your storyline? 99% you don't have one. For those of you who actually do role play a murderer, consider whether or not your victims view it that way. You may still be a griefer.

"Players can fight back" - yes but most don't want to. They are neither geared for it nor skilled for it. Most of them just want to enjoy the game with their friends or spend a few hours earning some gold and unwinding at the end of their day. There are all kinds of people in the world, and that includes people who don't like confrontation of any kind. Say what you want, but they have just as much right to enjoy this game as you do.

"It's just a game" - yes, so why not let me enjoy it? I play this game because it is fun, relaxing, and bring backs good memories. I have met a lot of really great people and I enjoy spending time with them. But we can't do the things we want to do because you prevent it. PKs are like a DOS attack because they are preventing the pvmer from doing what they want to do. I can't go out to a dungeon, I can't do a tmap, I can't even fish without being pk'd! So meanwhile the dungeons remain empty, the seas devoid of activity, and the hard work of the GMs unseen and unenjoyed because of PKs.

"If you allow players to farm dungeons with impunity it hurts the game economy" - this is a valid point, but once again we go back to the Game Master. It is the role of a Game Master to balance the game mechanics. If they're worried about the economy there are many other proven methods for controlling, including gold sinks and reducing loot. Think about all of the other aspects of this game that can't be enjoyed because of PKs and ask yourself if it's worth it.

These are my personal views on the subject, like it or not. I don't expect everyone to agree with any or all of what I've said, but I felt like I had to get this off my chest. I expect to be flamed for them. I expect to be called a carebear (ouch). Bring it on, I'm sure you'll enjoy that form of griefing too. But if you have some concise and valid argument against any portion of what I've asserted I welcome your rebuttal. I promise to respect your views if you have respected mine, it's that simple.

For those of you who fully agree with what I've said, I ask for your support here. Even a simple "I agree with..." or like would go a long way to demonstrating our point of view.

To the GMs, I want to say that I respect and appreciate what you do. I may have painted some of the things you have done as somewhat lazy, but I'm being honest and trying to give you real criticism. I could've sugar coated it but frankly I'm not in the mood. But make no mistake that, aside from these criticisms, this is by far the best server around. It's better than the one I created myself. I've donated to this server because I generally support what you do and I know it's hard, expensive, and sometimes thankless. I just hope you can understand my point of view on this subject. Let this thread speak for itself; they're either going to say I'm right or I'm wrong. All I ask is that you listen.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I can't agree.

Murderers are a part of the game and always have been. This is a server styled after the old style UO.

We're discussing ways to return reds to they way they were before red cry-babies did away with perma stat-loss (still think the skill gain of the server should be taken into account when dealing out penalty; great % loss or slower skill gain for reds :) ), but so far we'll just have to deal with it.

This isn't WoW, or any other similar MMO; this. is. ULTIMA (Online)!

K A Z

Grandmaster
yea, dunno. This is an UOR Shard, and UOR had PKs. If you don't like them, don't play an UOR Server, I guess.

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
I don't think they should get rid of All the pks but I do think they should make a safe dungeon or area for people who don't want to bother with PKs.
The PvP types have their safe areas where they can duel and watch duels and not worry about being PK'd but they don't want the PvM types to have any safe zones where they can hunt or dungeon without fear from PKs.

I also agree about the empty dungeons, they are basically empty except for the occasional PK who runs through just to make sure that no one is enjoying it.

I agree with much of what you said but I don't think PKs will ever be gotten rid of, too many play the game soely to fuck with others.

I think your strongest point is the lack of true PVP aspects when PKing. I said it many times before, the biggest problem we have is that in 99% of the time it's "Player vs Victim" and not true PVP. This is what makes half the population here hate "PVP", this is what makes it impossible for many to enjoy the PVM aspects of the game with so many PKs around. The gap between a PVM char and a PVP char is just too big.

Fighter chars are easy to be created here because people said "everyone should be able to PVP and it shouldn't be behind a big wall of grind of being rich or anything" but in reality in the end still only half the people here even can PVP because they have a PVP char. The game offers a TON of PVM content, much more than PVP content but if you make a char to enjoy said content you are hilariously unfit to fight any other player but still open to be attacked by anyone at any time. See where the problem is?

That's why I agree with a lot of what you said. If everyone who is strong enough to slay 50 Dragones without taking a scratch only so much stood the chance of fighting agains someone who is a full PVP char then the whole PVP aspect of the game would be much more enjoyable for everyone. Right now it really does feel like you are being griefed. You are right, I've never heard anyone say "I went to a dungeon and a guy came and killed me and took all my shit and it was awesome" because thats the situation 100% of the time. It's never, "I went into a dungeon and another char came and we fought a badass fight and in the end I killed him due to my experience and skill". How fun is a game where randomly some unbeatable boss comes in that takes a portion of your progress away wihout any real fight every so often? You always need a true chance to win a fight or the levels of frustration and lack of interest in the game will eventually rise so high that you quit.

The issue with getting rid of PKing is inflation skyrockets. When Trammel came out there was no one in Fel dungeons anymore except doing champ spawns. Most of the heavily profitable areas were slammed with people in trammel, people were able to farm with no worries. I mean lets face it monsters never kill players except for during champ spawns and special events.

What ends up happening is people just sit in dungeons all day, and even those people get tired of the game because killing monsters isn't hard, and thus you just get bored doing it. Having people come in and kill you, while it isn't enjoyable if your trying to farm, it does create a sense of demand for gold and a risk for farming it. It also should increase community. Depending on others is what builds a server not random rules about banning pks.

The issue I have with PK's on this server, and I have made a PK. is that there is no real penalty for them griefing you. They need to have stat loss. I pked on OSI servers for years, and when I lost stats and skills I just grinded them back up.

Having stat loss made my fun as a PK skyrocket, there was times I would get away from ANTI PK groups with a sliver of life, and there was times I would die in a horrible fire and have to macro for a month.

My real problem with this server is that we can have so many accounts and characters. I think we should all be limited to 1 account, and 2 characters. Having all these accounts removes the need for friends, community, groups teaming together. Because you don't need to make friends with a smith, you can just make your own smith/pk/tamer/crafter/alchemy/dueler/griefer etc. It's a bit redundant. It also makes the crafting economy garbage. There is no demand for a smith in your guild, hell you don't even need a guild with 9 characters you can do anything you want without having to meet or talk to anyone.

Having all these accounts removes the need for friends

So true! When I was new and only had one mage I always needed my guildmates to come gate me out of a dungeon etc when I died but now that I have 4 toons with magery I hardly ever call for help anymore. Even if my second mage dies, I can just get my third one etc. I have seen the same thing with people who pk. You kill one of their toons and they immediately come in with their second red, then their third and so on.

Ryking

Neophyte
The issue with getting rid of PKing is inflation skyrockets. When Trammel came out there was no one in Fel dungeons anymore except doing champ spawns. Most of the heavily profitable areas were slammed with people in trammel, people were able to farm with no worries. I mean lets face it monsters never kill players except for during champ spawns and special events.

What ends up happening is people just sit in dungeons all day, and even those people get tired of the game because killing monsters isn't hard, and thus you just get bored doing it. Having people come in and kill you, while it isn't enjoyable if your trying to farm, it does create a sense of demand for gold and a risk for farming it. It also should increase community. Depending on others is what builds a server not random rules about banning pks.

I've already answered this - if you want harder dungeons make harder dungeons. There's tons of things you can do to mobs to make them harder for soloers and groups alike. This again falls on the GM to create something new. You can also add more gold sinks and reduce loot to control the economy. PKs actually hurt the economy - case in point, look at magic items. I can't give these away a lot of the time because there's so much of it. Why do you think that is? Cause people aren't really using them like they should, which means they're not being worn out or occasionally lost to mobs. Losing gear to a pk is a net zero because it doesn't leave the economy, it merely transfers wealth.

The gold sinks in this game are very limited. I understand the need for good donation items (and I applaud that they are not pay for advantage items) but you can make plenty more gold sink items to help the economy and they too can be aesthetic in nature.

At the end of the day though, PKs are not economy benefits - that's a myth. At best they merely transfer wealth and at worst (like we've seen here) they lead to overstock in trade.

Young Star

Grandmaster
TL: DR

If you dont want PKs there are other free servers that have Trammell. This one may just not be for you. PKing on this server is pretty lowing IMHO. There are many places that people have farmed for hours before running into one.

Ryking

Neophyte
I don't think they should get rid of All the pks but I do think they should make a safe dungeon or area for people who don't want to bother with PKs.
The PvP types have their safe areas where they can duel and watch duels and not worry about being PK'd but they don't want the PvM types to have any safe zones where they can hunt or dungeon without fear from PKs.

I also agree about the empty dungeons, they are basically empty except for the occasional PK who runs through just to make sure that no one is enjoying it.

Love this idea and it's a great point. One way to accomplish this would be to half or even quarter the loot in these safe zones. That would leave an incentive to visiting normal dungeons while creating an area for those who want to avoid pks.

For those of you who shudder at the idea of reducing the loot so much, think of it this way. Would you rather give the gold to a pk or a gold sink (which this would basically be).

Ryking

Neophyte
TL: DR

If you dont want PKs there are other free servers that have Trammell. This one may just not be for you. PKing on this server is pretty lowing IMHO. There are many places that people have farmed for hours before running into one.

Knew this would come up - if you don't like it go elsewhere. Is that really what you want? Think this through because it hurts the entire server to think this way. If every person that agreed with my opinion left it would really affect the population. Fact is there is a great deal to love about this server in particular. The GM team is amazing and much of the content is done very well. But that doesn't mean it can't be better. The minute you think you have it all done perfectly, you begin to decline.

Young Star

Grandmaster
How often are you really dealing with PKs? If you arent making positive gold flow from farming despite bring PKd once in a while then you are doing something wrong.

Young Star

Grandmaster
Knew this would come up - if you don't like it go elsewhere. Is that really what you want? Think this through because it hurts the entire server to think this way. If every person that agreed with my opinion left it would really affect the population. Fact is there is a great deal to love about this server in particular. The GM team is amazing and much of the content is done very well. But that doesn't mean it can't be better. The minute you think you have it all done perfectly, you begin to decline.
Yes. I really do think if you want a PK free area you should find it in another server. Everyone that joins this server knows going in that it is an all felucca server. They do not hide it or false advertise. Most people that agree with your opinion never joined the server in the first place. Why join a felucca server then try to get it to give you a Trammell?

There are many places that I farm that I have rarely seen a PK. It is not a big issue anyways on this server.

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
Yes. I really do think if you want a PK free area you should find it in another server. Everyone that joins this server knows going in that it is an all felucca server. They do not hide it or false advertise. Most people that agree with your opinion never joined the server in the first place. Why join a felucca server then try to get it to give you a Trammell?

Really? So you think the duel pits should be opened to PKing as well? Or do you want to be able to watch people duel each other without the threat of being killed by another player?

Young Star

Grandmaster
Really? So you think the duel pits should be opened to PKing as well? Or do you want to be able to watch people duel each other without the threat of being killed by another player?
Duel pits are basically a mini side game. They dont contribute or take away from the economy. Plus you get town invasions that are guardzone protected.

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
Duel pits are basically a mini side game. They dont contribute or take away from the economy. Plus you get town invasions that are guardzone protected.

Why not give us a little place where we can hunt without the threat of pks? Like in the Britain sewers, or Occlo island or something. Imagine if we could hunt headless ones and giant rats without having to worry about being assassinated by some pk who doesn't want anyone to PvM.

Also, when I was first on this server, reds weren't allowed in towns because they would be instantly guard killed. I'm not sure why they changed that but it must have something to do with guild wars or factions or something.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Why not give us a little place where we can hunt without the threat of pks? Like in the Britain sewers, or Occlo island or something. Imagine if we could hunt headless ones and giant rats without having to worry about being assassinated by some pk who doesn't want anyone to PvM.

Also, when I was first on this server, reds weren't allowed in towns because they would be instantly guard killed. I'm not sure why they changed that but it must have something to do with guild wars or factions or something.

pretty sure this is not true.. I've been on this Server since day one, and if I wasn't simply too stoned back then, then you're not right! Reds were always allowed in town. Trammy Dungeons are also not a very good idea I guess...

You think you can just sit there in a dungeon devaluating my gold without repercussions?

This is how I feel. Go look at any major dungeon room and very few people are there. This is because there is risk, thus keeping the economy in check. Now go back to Trammel, and the hardest rooms were so full of people that there it was actually laggy. Talking 25/30 tamers in the dragon room in covetus and stuff. The amount of gold pumped into the economy sky rocketed.

So stupid. Trammel ruined the game IMO. If you want to farm mobs for fun without any risk then I think you should go find another game to play. I hate to say that, but that is what this game is based on, a free open world where anything can happen. A lot of us enjoy that.

I know I do. I like when I am farming gold and people come in and try to kill me. It adds a huge aspect to my game, it makes it fun and exciting instead of macroable while I watch netflix on my other monitor and sit there baby sitting my macro so it isn't illegal.