Efficient ways of getting gold

Henrik

Master
Hi there!

Me and a friend are trying to get gold enough for buying a house (48k) as well creating a new guild (25k) (and eventually Vendors).
My character is a Warrior (GM Swordsmanship, Tactics, Anatomy etc) and my friend's character an archer (GM provocation, musicmanship etc).

The way we collect cash is to be out in the woods or (on rare occassions) dungeons, mostly killing/looting ogres/ottins/trolls (~100-150g/creature) and when we have like 1-1.5k we bank the money (because the risk of being pkd) and get back to the spot or to a new spot for hunting creatures. This takes a lots of time and even though we eventually will get the money it feels like a very unefficient and time comsuming strategy.

So, could you please give us some advice on how to get money in a more efficient way? Are we hunting for the wrong creatures? Should we loot more than gold (and rare items) and sell? Are these rare items (e.g Plate helmet "Guarding") even worth picking up?

We're even open for creating new non fighting characters like tinkers, miners, tamers etc.

Thanks a lot in advance!

/Ugglefar

Wizx13

Grandmaster
You are doing good. With anything in the game the more risk the better the payout. I would move on to liches, lich lords, and ancient liches. Should be a cakewalk for your team and can pay out 30-80k a hour once you get the hang of it.
Lots of outdoor areas that have those mobs.

lollo

Grandmaster
Also if you have a provo in your group, and you have one, the lower levels of shame have many mobs that give 1k+ gold each plus skill scrolls etc

Just beware of the PKs. I usually bank every 5-7k

Henrik

Master
You are doing good. With anything in the game the more risk the better the payout. I would move on to liches, lich lords, and ancient liches. Should be a cakewalk for your team and can pay out 30-80k a hour once you get the hang of it.
Lots of outdoor areas that have those mobs.

Thanks, that sounds great. Do you have any suggestion where to find mobs with liches, lich lords and so on?

Henrik

Master
Also if you have a provo in your group, and you have one, the lower levels of shame have many mobs that give 1k+ gold each plus skill scrolls etc

Just beware of the PKs. I usually bank every 5-7k

Sounds great, thanks!

What are those skill scrolls worth and are they easy to sell? What about the magical items you get as I mentioned in my first post - are they worth picking up and are they worth something (of course I understand that may differ between different items)? The same I wonder about Treasure Maps you get quite often especially from Orchs?

Sorry for alot of questions but I really want to get the most out of it so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:

lollo

Grandmaster
Sounds great! What are those skill scrolls worth and are they easy to sell? What about those quite common magical items you get as I mentioned in my first post - are they worth picking up and are they worth something (of course I understand that may differ between different items)? The same I wonder about Treasure Maps you get quite often especially from Orchs?

Sorry for alot of questions but I really want to get the most out of it so to speak.

As for magic items, you have to ID them using a magic wand. Those are fairly common, you should be able to easily find/buy onr for just a few gold pieces.

Treasure maps can be level 1 to 5. On orcs you usually find level 1 (plainly drawn) and those are worth jack shit. On higher end mobs you can find other levels and those sell for as much as 7-8k a piece

Skill scrolls are kinda rare, some high end mobs drop them once in a while. Let's say that if you farm blood elementals for 1-2 hours you're pretty much guaranteed to get one or more. Some of them aren't worth anything (tactics, parry, fencing etc, easier skills in general) while some like taming can go as high as 250k a piece.

I suggest you find a good rune library and start from there. For the best loot you should be looking at Titans, blood elementals, dragons, balrons, ancient wyrm, ancient lich lords, paragons etc.

Just be aware that those can basically insta kill you, so you have to provo them first and THEN attack with your warrior.

They will seem hard at first but after a few days you'll just provo and kill them without even thinking about it and you can easily make 40-50k an hour in gold alone.

the only thing you will have to worry about are PKs since where you have good loot you also have many PKs

Wizx13

Grandmaster
Thanks, that sounds great. Do you have any suggestion where to find mobs with liches, lich lords and so on?

Every town has a cemetery or a graveyard where you can find liches. Moonglow, Jehlom, Yew to name a few that have liches.

Henrik

Master
Every town has a cemetery or a graveyard where you can find liches. Moonglow, Jehlom, Yew to name a few that have liches.

Yeah I've seen liches in graveyards, but there's usually only one there and it often takes time before they spawn again. Otherwize is my experience that graveyards mostly contains of low level monsters (skeletons, zombies etc) plus that it's kinda common with pks around them.

You would know of any spot, outside or inside, with mobs of liches?

Wizx13

Grandmaster
Yeah I've seen liches in graveyards, but there's usually only one there and it often takes time before they spawn again. Otherwize is my experience that graveyards mostly contains of low level monsters (skeletons, zombies etc) plus that it's kinda common with pks around them.

You would know of any spot, outside or inside, with mobs of liches?

Yes meet Septimas at Brittan Bank in 20 minutes and I will have you a runebook.

Henrik

Master
As for magic items, you have to ID them using a magic wand. Those are fairly common, you should be able to easily find/buy onr for just a few gold pieces.

Treasure maps can be level 1 to 5. On orcs you usually find level 1 (plainly drawn) and those are worth jack shit. On higher end mobs you can find other levels and those sell for as much as 7-8k a piece

Skill scrolls are kinda rare, some high end mobs drop them once in a while. Let's say that if you farm blood elementals for 1-2 hours you're pretty much guaranteed to get one or more. Some of them aren't worth anything (tactics, parry, fencing etc, easier skills in general) while some like taming can go as high as 250k a piece.

I suggest you find a good rune library and start from there. For the best loot you should be looking at Titans, blood elementals, dragons, balrons, ancient wyrm, ancient lich lords, paragons etc.

Just be aware that those can basically insta kill you, so you have to provo them first and THEN attack with your warrior.

They will seem hard at first but after a few days you'll just provo and kill them without even thinking about it and you can easily make 40-50k an hour in gold alone.

the only thing you will have to worry about are PKs since where you have good loot you also have many PKs

Okey, so low level treasure maps are really not worth picking up then I suppose?

You would'nt know coordinates to a rune library by the way? Found on last week but unfortunately I didn't got any empty runes on me to Mark and haven't found the library since then.

Thanks a lot for your tips and advices!

lollo

Grandmaster
Most of the most famous vendor houses usually also host a runebook library.

Just get a blank rune and go to Brit West Bank and enter a few of the gates, you'll find a rune library 100%.

Level one t maps are still worth picking up, when you have a lot of them you can sell them in bulk for maybe 300-500gp each or you can dig them up yourself if you're bored

SaladinX

Grandmaster
HI Henrik!

Have you considered joining a guild? Maybe perhaps until you get good loot and some spots marked.

I'd suggest joining my guild. Our lead is very active and the members constantly do dungeon crawls as a team. Of course they help you mark the good places too.
Guild name is - "THC"
Leader: SnickleFrtiz

If not, pm me and I'll mark you some good spots to make cash.

My advice is, pick up everything when you are new and trying to get gold. If the armor isnt fortification or invulnerablity, sell it to an npc. Same for weapons if they are not power/vanq. Magic scrolls can also be sold to npcs as well. Save any skill scrolls and high end equipment to sell on a vendor or the selling section of these forums. It takes time, but it all adds up in the end.

If you are looking for good non-dungeon hunting, run around yew and trinsic. Yew has liches to the south and dread spiders to the west, which both give about 400-500 gp. You can find brigands, liches, and daemons around trinsic as well, which all give decent loot.

SLAYER

Neophyte
EASIEST DISTILLED FARMING GUIDE:

buy a silver weapon (can be found in moongate player vendors, shop around looking for the best price)
you will be spending a few thousand gold to gain many more thousands of gold pieces provided you don't die and lose the weapon right away. they pay themselves back quickly tho

kill undead creatures (a lich, mummys, etc)

this is the easiest and fastest way ... a silver weapon increases your damage against undead creatures hugely. one shotting and two shotting frequently
even just a [Silver] weapon with no other modifications will help you farm really fast, any attack bonus (ruin,might,force,power,vanq) is even better but more risky to lose

as you get richer you can afford silver+power/vanq weapons for ultimate farming speed

final tips:

- "joust" mobs you are fighting by running up to them when you are ready to swing to deliver the damage and then back away, returning for another strike when your swing cooldown is finished. the slower your weapon, the longer you back off until the swing is ready to go again. this prevents you from taking unnecessary damage by standing next to the mob(s). also by moving away from the mob's strikes your bandages slip less (results in the healing process completing faster and for greater HP recovered)

- carry greater cure potions and keep magic reflect up as much as possible to survive high damage flamestrikes and rapid poisons

- hiding skill can be used to drop aggro from mob when you need extra time to finish healing yourself or if you get in too deep with damage or other mobs gang up on you... learn when its time to flee and drop monster aggro before it's too late and an energy bolt or flamestrike vaporizes you

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Treasure maps are usually good money makers, and pretty safe.

When I was starting out I made sure to take all gems, scrolls, and magic weapons. Set up a hotkey to drop all your gems in a bag, once you get 100 of each go sell them. Magic weps just sell to npc vendors AFTER you id them. Scrolls can be npc sold as well.

SaladinX

Grandmaster
Treasure maps are usually good money makers, and pretty safe.

When I was starting out I made sure to take all gems, scrolls, and magic weapons. Set up a hotkey to drop all your gems in a bag, once you get 100 of each go sell them. Magic weps just sell to npc vendors AFTER you id them. Scrolls can be npc sold as well.
How do you do this drop gem macro?

I'll end up with carpal tunnel and loss of vision with all the gem collecting I do in dastard.

Henrik

Master
EASIEST DISTILLED FARMING GUIDE:

buy a silver weapon (can be found in moongate player vendors, shop around looking for the best price)
you will be spending a few thousand gold to gain many more thousands of gold pieces provided you don't die and lose the weapon right away. they pay themselves back quickly tho

kill undead creatures (a lich, mummys, etc)

this is the easiest and fastest way ... a silver weapon increases your damage against undead creatures hugely. one shotting and two shotting frequently
even just a [Silver] weapon with no other modifications will help you farm really fast, any attack bonus (ruin,might,force,power,vanq) is even better but more risky to lose

as you get richer you can afford silver+power/vanq weapons for ultimate farming speed

final tips:

- "joust" mobs you are fighting by running up to them when you are ready to swing to deliver the damage and then back away, returning for another strike when your swing cooldown is finished. the slower your weapon, the longer you back off until the swing is ready to go again. this prevents you from taking unnecessary damage by standing next to the mob(s). also by moving away from the mob's strikes your bandages slip less (results in the healing process completing faster and for greater HP recovered)

- carry greater cure potions and keep magic reflect up as much as possible to survive high damage flamestrikes and rapid poisons

- hiding skill can be used to drop aggro from mob when you need extra time to finish healing yourself or if you get in too deep with damage or other mobs gang up on you... learn when its time to flee and drop monster aggro before it's too late and an energy bolt or flamestrike vaporizes you

These were really nice tips, thanks a lot! Will start of right away to try to find a nice silver weapon and then try out the rest of you advices.

PC Loadletter

Journeyman
Bag to bag - don't think it's possible to macro loot corpses/chests (although I saw an insane tmap spawn the other day that had 10+ lichs/dread spiders/elder gazers last weekend that I can't imagine how else it popped up without killing the tmapper first...)