1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOTU (pronounced Dot-uh)

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Alan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dorcha

Dorcha Expert

Feb 2, 2014
    I am also looking forward to seeing how far down I am on the totem pole of scores.

also, when will the event run again? It was a blast!

2. AnsemUO

AnsemUO Grandmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Was super fun.

Took a different approach by crafting and equipping the blue team with everything.... Really wanna see statZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Alan

Alan Apprentice

Mar 15, 2013
    Scores posted here

4. Alan

Alan Apprentice

Mar 15, 2013
    Also, I'm interested in getting some feedback. This was a pretty complex event and I thought overall it went very well... here are a few things that I I believe need to be altered:

1) Fix the glitch that prevents you from smelting ore from within your backpack (this is a glitch with the mob possession mechanics)
    2) Add some mechanics to prevent a mob from being led too far from their path... this is sort of tricky but I think I have some good ideas on how to pull it off

A few questions for the community:
    1. What did you think about skill gain? Too fast / Slow?

2. The event took about 1.5 hours to finish... did you think that was too long?)

3. Do you think I should add trees and birds so you can do bowcraft and carpentry? Worth adding?

4. What do you think about making meteor swarm powerful--i.e. does about flamestrike damage to everything it hits (like it was before I nerfed it) but make it so it can only be used once in a minute? (like an "ultimate"?)
      Along the same lines--what do you think about adding "ultimate" skills to other skills like the various weapon skills (like swords / macing / fencing / Alchemy). What do you think those Ultimates should be?

5. Should there be "ultimates" for crafters? (e.g. I could make it so at GM all weapons a blacksmith makes are vanq weapons.) Or even make it so the weapons they craft have some sort of firebreathing ability? I'm open to ideas.

5. Nihilism

Nihilism Grandmaster

Aug 28, 2013
    1. I think it was just right. Made people have to progress, but did so at a pace that people didn't get bored and were able to get into action fairly quickly. Imo, absolutely perfect mechanic/speed to the event.
    2. 1-1.5 hrs I would say is perfect. Provided they're done at "decent times" that can appeal to east coast/west coast/EU servers (something like 3PM EST on weekends I believe would be ideal.
    3. Yes to the arrows, not an archer myself, but I'm sure lots would love it. (hell, I'd even *LOVE* if the zombie arcade mechanic was in it too).

4. Can try the ultimate abilities. Gives a chance to do a big "push" to the other side, even if things get lopsided. This was our first, won't be our last, we can try with both, and if it becomes a problem, deal with it then.

5. I'd be cool with the weapons getting random modifiers like AOS (if you wanna code it) like 30% fireball/lightning/harm). Maybe something along the lines of the crafter area and slayers, make it 5% chance to craft these. As it stands, it's quite a ranged event, especially with all the mobs, being up front as a melee is pretty suicide, so a little bonus to them might not hurt.

6. Kraden

Kraden Grandmaster

Dec 5, 2013
    Wow looks awesome. Too bad im at work lol

7. Dorcha

Dorcha Expert

Feb 2, 2014
    1. Skill gain was just right. Don't tweak it at all imo.

2. 1.5 hours is good. Just keep starting it after 9:30pm central so I can play :)

3. Adding bows would be good, but the more gathering/trade skills you add the more diluted the team will be - I think this might slow the game down a bit.

4. Yes to ultimates on timers but they should share cooldowns so a person can't alternate ults. Post nerf, ms was useless, and it was right as I got it :p.

5. I'm indifferent on crafter ults.

general thoughts:
    This is very much a team game, and placing the focus on "doing the most x of something" for trophies diminishes that imo. I'd rather see no trophies, or some small reward for the winning team - maybe base the reward on what that individual's highest skill or metric was (I.e. crafters get very small amount of interesting hue material, swordsmen get a deed that lets them tag a weapon with some text within limits or change it's hue within limits, etc)

8. Dorcha

Dorcha Expert

Feb 2, 2014
    Also, increase ore spawn slightly :), imo.

9. Charlie

Charlie Neophyte

Apr 24, 2013
    DOTA is about getting gold to get stronger and pushing into enemy base.

Need more uses for gold.

Gump for crafters to purchase runics, spell casters to get +1 damage onebolt or +5 magery, etc...

Need to be able to get rewarded for player kills (more so than mob kills). Using a faction ruleset so you can't just have 1 guy feeding the other team gold.

Could also make it take team kills into consideration and your team gets to elect a commander that picks Global auras or bonuses for the team. Magery bonus, mobs become stronger, etc..

Added wood and feathers! Archery would be really good in something like this and it isn't super simple to get arrows every time.

Added bonuses that spawn like powerups - infinite mana for 2minutes, 2min duration horse, double damage bonus, 200 dex bonus - something fun to fight other between lanes.

Maybe consider a "jungle" that players can train up on the side and early a little cash.

Add a "roshan" that rewards the whole team like bonus damage or hp when killed.

Side mechanics like CTF that require a king of the hill in the middle that players can work on to bring back to base for bonus or team gold..

I'm just brainstorming, but I can see this working out really nicely!

10. Dorcha

Dorcha Expert

Feb 2, 2014
    I completely agree with needing more uses for gold. Runics for crafters is a great idea, as is purchasing bonuses or maybe jewelry slot items.

The one thing I'd say though is you don't want to have "mechanics creep", where you make it so complicated that no new players ever want to try it.

11. Nurayia

Nurayia Expert

Feb 17, 2014
    This sounds really fun, I would love to participate next time :)

12. Dorcha

Dorcha Expert

Feb 2, 2014
    It was quite a blast. I'm looking forward to the next run. Maybe they'll do it again this week! ;-)

13. Messremb

Messremb Grandmaster

Aug 16, 2013

for me, this event for me was so much fun because it was raw, I hope it stays that way. I don't want to see the event become all about getting unique weapons or using a unique skill. I want it to be all about starting with nothing grabbing a spear from one of the crafters and making you way to GM skills where you can dominate the field. like the survival event it should be about who is capable of using the minimal recourses at hand to win. so to that end.

1. was perfect I wouldn't change it at all

2 perfect

3 Yes I think archery would be a nice addition (I don't think it should get the Arcade Zombie style as that is OP)

4 Magery in general should be toned down a bit. once I had 90 magery and some regs I dominated the field and only another fresh mage provided any challenge for me. maybe cut the spell damage down to 3/4ths what it was. as for MS leave it nerfed.

5. I don't think it would be an issue if you added it but I don't think its necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  14. Pewdy Tang

Pewdy Tang Neophyte

Jan 23, 2014
    My 2 cents? Try to fix players luring mobs, and make a note in the rules telling people that if you spend most of the game macroing mana vampire on yourself that you're a bad.

Other than that? gtg