1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developer Job Opening:

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Shane

Shane Guest

Hey all,
    We are going to once again try to search a proper candidate out for this one final time before we take a different approach.

We are looking for someone to develop an Ultima Online Forever Assistant program for everyone here to use.
    Basically what we are looking for is a mix between UOSteam and Razor.

We want the efficiency and map/positioning system of UOSTEAM, with the usability, and limited features of RAZOR without going over-board.

UOSTEAM runs great, has many features, a great navigational positioning map. However it at times can be over powered and widens the gap between those who know the program well, from those who do not. One of the largest issues with UOSteam is that it is more advanced and complicated to use than Razor.

RAZOR is straight to the point, easy to understand, and has some solid features that don't go over board. However, many things could be enhanced on this as many know from efficiency to easier options.

Honestly i love Razor and I have always supported it from day ONE here on Ultima Online Forever. It could be really great if it was tweaked in certain ways, enhanced it's mapping, altered some profile settings, ran much more smoother, and even could be made even more "easier" to use as a tool. I've even contacted the owners to see if it was possible to take over/alter ourselves with not much luck.

After exhausting these options it just honestly comes down to creating our own in the end still.

So if you have capabilities in programming to create such an assistant/client hook please contact me VIA PM over the forums here and we will go from there. If you know someone who also has capabilities it would be great to get them involved even.

We will be paying handsomely for this project.
    If someone suggests someone to us that is capable of the job, that person shall be rewarded as well.

I think this could be a great thing not only for Ultima Online Forever, but the entire Ultima Online Private server community as a whole.

We would want many options, but while being built we want to ensure that all servers that use this assistant have ABSOLUTE FULL CONTROL to enable/disable each option at their will and customization.

Regards,
    Shane

4 people like this.
  2. Bryce

Bryce Adept

Mar 31, 2014
    Please keep all posts relating to the position. We're aware some like Razor and some like Steam.
    Bottom line is we're looking for a UOF-specific assistant. No debates needed. :)
    If you have the knowledge, and are up to the task, please post below.

4 people like this.
  3. Don Key

Don Key Master

Aug 4, 2014
    Are the sources available for UOSteam? From what I've gathered over the years, the developer of Razor has never given out the sources due to fear of what someone could actually accomplish with it but I have never heard of UOSteam until recently.

4. Luxvero

Luxvero Journeyman

Jul 11, 2014
    Forgive me I don't want to divert the topic, just trying to understand. Basically, the new assistant would be like Razor, with uosteam map, targeting, stability? Isnt autloot / journalreads / buy-sell agents, all under the control of the "server negotiation" feature, making UOS & Razor the same today?

Or will it also be something that takes over the OS to detect easyuo, autohotkey, autoit, or even if uo is running on Virtual machine?

Shane, since you didnt succed in contacting Razor developers, what about the uosteam team? These Diego Alcântara & Diogo Palma, maybe hire them directly...

Now to the topic, would this position also require the decoding of client/server comunication? That's a whole field on itself.
    Or is there a documentation avaiable on this?

5. Carl

Carl Guest

Too answer some of the questions here.

1. The code for razor and uo steam are not available to the public. Although the UI code is available from razor.
    2. As far as detecting other things like easyuo etc would be nice but that's a whole different ball game.
    3. Diego and Kraz will never release uo steam code, they are also finished with the UO community.
    4. Razor while is still somewhat maintained by Mark, it still belongs to Zippy and he last time I checked had zero intention on making it 100% public.
    5. Not sure what you mean by decoding but I'm going to assume you mean getting all the packet information in which case yes their are tons of programs out their that will do it. But it's not required most all packet information is already available in the UO community plus their is software made specifically for UO that will get you all the required packet information with ease.
    6. A lot of the razor features don't work as well as they use too and yes we can use the server negotiation to block some things with razor but it doesn't work with all the uo steam features.

4 people like this.
  6. eppy

eppy Grandmaster

Sep 18, 2013
    I have done some looking around for information on how razor and steam work. I found packet detectors and other ways of doing it. I also found that razor has a ton of code. This is a big job, I would love to take a stab at it but I don't know how to do the client interaction part. I have done some coding on a sailing utility and it works, but it uses the dumbest form of client interaction, sending messages to the client itself using windows messages.

7. Psymon

Psymon Master

Jan 25, 2013
    Somebody Take on this Job!

8. Shane

Shane Guest

Aye, it is a big job to some. Depends your level i guess as well. If you are AT ALL unsure of how to even begin etc like you are saying then most likely you wouldn't fit the criteria here.

I have had many pm's and have responded to those of interest.

9. Koncept

Koncept New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Can you be more specific? What features?

I haven't played in ages, but someone got a hold of me about this post.

10. Magpie

Magpie Adept

Feb 2, 2013
    Any updates on this? I know you've been using Sallos in the Twitch stream as of yesterday. Curious if you've been working with the maker of that to make something specific for UOF?

Thanks.

11. Feeh

Feeh New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I've been working on my own Razor mod, it is fully working and also sent a message to Shane
    The idea was the same as Shane said "a mix between UOSteam and Razor"
    [​IMG]

I'm open to talk about it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. Magpie

Magpie Adept

Feb 2, 2013
    What a combination of Steam/Razor + graphic engine of Sallos? Possible?

13. Feeh

Feeh New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Razor is fully designed to work with UO Classic client. Since I never worked with Sallos before (not even played with it) I can not say. Depends on how Sallos is coded