Defense Talisman Guide

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
If you are choosing the defense relic then parry is a must. You might not want parry on your characters build but you must have it if you want to see decent gains on your talisman. Remember that you must have armor class 100 to see full gains. Its 1% xp loss for each AC under 100. If you are at 90 AC then you are taking a 10% xp loss. You can always drop parry after your talisman is level 10. If you don't have parry then you probably aren't going to see level 10. A good suit of magic plate is going to give you ~65 armor. Throw on a fortification heater shield and you're looking at around 115-120 AC. This is a good starting point because your shield gives a ton of AC but it takes the most damage so you'll see your AC start to diminish.

The talisman xp boost from the Sigil that Minax current holds (forget the name) only works on meta pets. I'd like confirmation on this but I'm pretty sure this is the case. It does not work for meta dexer talismans.

Don't be tempted to throw your relics onto your talisman in the order that you find them. Quench and Remedy are by far the best relics. They are exponentially more useful than leech or recoil. Recoil makes no noticeable difference in gameplay. Remedy and Quench also take a lot longer to level up than leech or recoil. Only certain mobs will proc them and their cool down timer are longer. Leech and recoil proc no matter what you're fighting therefore they will level up quickly. They are also not very useful. This is why I suggest putting them on last. Specifically, I'd put recoil on last.

Those of you with good fashion sense will notice how well a defense talisman accents a nice suit of platemail. Platemail is going to keep your coveted Armor Class high. But wait you say, bone armor gives the same armor and no dex loss. Yes, and you will repair/throw away 10+ suits of bone armor in the time it takes you to send one suit of platemail to your favorite blacksmith. Bone armor goes to shit quickly. Platemail keeps your AC up and lets you fight a lot more mobs before your armor class is reduced and thereby ruining your XP gains. And if you get pk'd, your platemail is still there on your corpse. If by some chance it did get looted, well its cheap on the vendors too!

Shields. They go to shit quickly and it saddens me. I hope you have a smithy. I'll go through 6 shields at Barracoon.

Let's talk about mobs!

The higher the hit pointers the better the gains. But choose your mobs wisely. For instance, mobs that cast a lot of spells tend to leave you healing and running rather than gaining XP. They also die faster. An ogre lord will give you good gains but the macing damage will ruin your armor in no time. Dragons seem to be a great fit. If your quench procs early then you will avoid firebreath damage for a good long while. This lets you lower the dragons HP before the quench wears off. The firebreaths after that won't deal much damage because firebreath damage is proportional to the dragon's HP. I can tank an elder dragon paragon this way. A dragon paragon will give you around 1k XP.

Andy8554

Adept
Hey Tard,

Thanks for the Breakdown. I have a Defensive Meta Dexxer. I am looking to craft - and help out - other fellow Meta Dexxers so my question to you and everyone is, what do you / would you like to wear... Here are the options I have come up with to avoid xp penalty:

Exceptional Iron Plate Suit w/ Invulnerable Shield= 100+ ar w/ - 9 dex
  • Pros: Less expensive to purchase and durability
  • Cons: -9 dex
Verite or Valorite Dex Suit w/ Invulnerable Shield= 100+ ar w/ -3 dex
  • Pros: Only -3 dex loss
  • Cons: Cost of purchase perhaps
Barbed Bone Suit w/ Invulnerable Shield= 100+ ar w/ -0 dex
  • Pros: No dex loss
  • Cons: Cost of purchase higher than plate and durability
I'd like your feedback and opinion on the matter.

Thanks!

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Good input. I've been using some bone armor the past couple of days. Its not a bad choice depending on what you're fighting. If you go after something that can beat up your armor like ogre lords then I'd probably throw on some plate. If you are fighting mobs for the sole purpose of leveling your talisman then I wouldn't worry about the dex loss so much. The decrease in swing speed can actually keep your mobs alive a little bit longer and give you a little bit more XP. Its not going to be a dramatic difference but it adds up over time.

The focus on armor brings to mind another tip that might be of use. When I am working on my talisman in Destard, I will often cut corpses of the dragons and keep the dragon scales. I usually throw the hides on the ground in case a tailor might want them.

Dragon scale armor provides some real decent AC and no dex loss. Its worth keeping.

Andy8554

Adept
Thanks I'll check out that combo.... Tard, thanks for your input as well. I appreciate it!

So if I did create a meta-defense Dexter suit bag would it be reasonable to assume that you would like to see repair deeds thrown in as well (especially for bone armor)? I was thinking about doing that or would it be a mute point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da Witch Dr

Master
Tard, how well can you solo with your dexxer? Solo Balrons? Multiple dragons? Ancient wyrms? Just curious bud... Thanks...

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
I guess the biggest thing I tank regularly are paragon elder dragons. That is without slayer armor. I cannot tank a balron even with slayer armor. I have a ton of runes that I should use for slayer armor though. It would be interesting to see what high end mobs can be solo'ed.

Da Witch Dr

Master
@dobber really... A meta defense dexxer... Lol love to see that happen sometime ... Tard if you want to give it a shot sometime I'll be your healer.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Here's what I would REALLY like to try out. Have two max'd out dexers fight some huge creature. One dexer a maxed out defense talisman with full slayer armor getting crosshealed by a maxed out beserker. Each dexer using super slayers of course. That would be awesome to see in action but let's face the facts.

Even as awesome as the duo berserker/defense dexers sounds, the sad thing is that a level 7 meta pet would still be way stronger than both of them combined. I'd really like to see meta dexers and meta mages have some end game potential. As it is now though being a tamer is the only way to fully realize true end game potential. I've heard some arguments made in the past that meta dexers can outperform tamers at champ spawns and RDA's. There is no comparison to a level 7 meta thats fully maxed out. That's easily proven so I won't bother unless prompted.

There's gotta be a way to let mages and dexers really develop their main character without hitting a plateau. I simply don't want to play a tamer but I would like a way to further my character's ability. It took me a long time to get my talisman level 10 and it is awesome but I would like to be able to compete with tamers in terms of PVM ability.

One other point I'll mention about dexers kind of getting passed over for end game content. Tamers have amazing meta pets that have net worths of ~15 mil. Some mages have super slayer spells books that are worth about the same. Dexers have no such super end game item to add to their arsenal. For us its just a 15-20k super slayer weapon that any blacksmith can make. That's all you've got to look forward to. If you are lucky enough to get a valorite weapon, who cares? You're only going to use it at CTF like events.

I mention all of this because this thread is a great place to find like minded players. I don't mean to get off topic but I felt like its a point worth mentioning.

edit: decided to post a lot of this into suggestions thread, here's a link
http://www.uoforum.com/threads/no-end-game-potential-for-non-tamers.63420/

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Witch Dr

Master
I completely agree... The whole reason for me asking about what you can solo is because at heart I am a dexxer, but let's face it... My tamer can roll through things way easier with my godlike death beetle- WW combo.

I would like to invest more time into leveling my defense meta dexxer but ... You are right ... For end game it seems to make more sense to train my meta pet up...

Da Witch Dr

Master
Tard... How much exp per level do you have to gain? Is it tiered like meta pets or 20,000 per level?

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
@Tard the Paladin old buddy
Do I or don't I need the relics? That's the question I think all the time plus get asked and can't really answer.

Well a maxed out talisman in terms of XP gives -50% damage. That is awesome for a tank. As for the relics it depends on what you fight.

You definitely don't need recoil in its current state. I don't really notice it doing anything. Leech is barely better than recoil. Basically, you get a barely noticeable bump in health every now and then.

Quench and remedy are nice though. The higher level you get quench and remedy then the longer of a time period you are immune to firebreath and poison respectively. Those two relics help me immensely during champ spawns. I would certainly try to put quench and remedy on my talisman first since they take longer to level up and they are exponentially more useful than the other two. The other two level up super fast and don't really do much for you so you are screwing up by putting them on first, IMO.