Connecting to IRC

AlyM

Grandmaster
This guide is to connect to IRC through clients.
I recommend using Hexchat. Other good one is mIRC.
Hexchat are free, mIRC is a free trial.

First step: You need to download and install the proper client.
Most clients ask whether you need 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64). If you do not know what kind of system you have, this is how you find out. This may vary slightly with different versions of windows, but should be in a similar area.
Go to Start Menu, right click "Computer". Press Properties.
4acabcdd66.jpg

Look under the "System" category, or similar... You will either see 64 bit or 32 bit.

c15e2b9fbd.png

Now, go to your desired client's website or download page and download the correct client.

For Hexchat: Download the x86 or x64 edition and if you do not have or do not know if you have the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable package, download the same version of it.

For HydraIRC: There is only one client edition. HyrdaIRC.exe.

For mIRC: Hit the big green download button. WHOO.

------ NEXT: Install it.
I'm assuming you can install a problem. Comment on here or PM me if you have some kind of problem...

----- NEXT: Connect!
For HexChat:
Go to "HexChat" (top menu) and hit "Network List" (can also press CTRL+S)
You will need to add a new network.
First fill in your NickName. You will need to create at least two choices (you will only need to register one, the second is for if you disconnect, but it is required. If you register both, you will be able to talk on both whenever you disconnect).
Second you must hit "Add". Name the server whatever you like, preferably "UOF" or similar.
Now press Edit. Under the "Server" tab, hit "add". Type in "irc.geekshed.net". MAKE SURE YOU PRESS ENTER! Otherwise your things will not save!
be08b5c0af.png

Under "Autojoin Channels", press "add" and type in "#uoforever" and hit enter.
9455515393.png

Under "Connect Commands" type in "msg NickServ IDENTIFY [PASSWORD]"
Replace "[PASSWORD]" with your preferred password.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A NICKNAME, FIRST PUT IN THE COMMAND "msg NickServ REGISTER [PASSWORD] "
Replace [PASSWORD] with your password you want, and with your email. You will need a valid email.

THEN follow the rest of the steps to connect.. once you have connected for the FIRST TIME it will register your nick. Then you must confirm it via email. After it is confirmed, edit the REGISTER command to the IDENTIFY command.

1acde71443.png

The following options are checked on my screen. Please insure they are checked on yours:

4d8834397a.png

Now just close that box and hit connect on the Servers box. It should connect.

------------
FOR mIRC:

Go to File: Select Server. Hit add. Fill out the options as below (IRC Server: irc.geekshed.net, Description is the name you want it to have, and port is default at 6667). Press Add.
a5ceeff546.png

Now click the name of the server you just added and hit "select".

Next fill in your nickname. Hit Connect.

Now it will pop up a new box: Enter a Channel name and click join.
Type in "#uoforever" in this box. Press Join.
d482d771c5.png

Now you will need to either REGISTER your nick OR you will need to IDENTIFY your nick.
If you've never registered it, type in "/msg NickServ REGISTER [PASSWORD] "
You will need to verify your email.
If you have registered it, type in "/msg NickServ IDENTIFY [PASSWORD]"
You should now be connected.

----------------

If your nickname gets changed
[IMG]http://puu.sh/aJpp2/607b281222.png[/IMG]
You will need to type in /nick [NICKNAME] and change "[NICKNAME]" to your preferred nickname. Then you will QUICKLY need to type in the IDENTIFY command to keep it.

UOFOREVER REQUIRES A REGISTERED NICKNAME.

Please post if you have any problems with this, as it has been a little while since I set this up. I will help work your problems out if I can and I will update the post with any solutions found. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: