1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner PVP Template

Discussion in 'Player VS Player' started by Boomclack, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Boomclack

Boomclack Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Boomclack, Dreadlord Kain, Raging Gnome
    Looking for some pvp templates to get started in the pvp world. Is explo pot the only way to go? Its really all I see anywhere.

2. ZoeyLove

ZoeyLove Active Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Zoey
    Boomclack likes this.
  3. halygon

halygon Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    Start with an alchy mage template first as you need that foundation of skill before you can apply the same principals to other types of builds (melee, theif, tamer).

You can go safe and do an alchy scribe mage or an alchy heal mage. I recommend alchy mages because knowing magery and how to throw explosion potions will go a long way for you in PvP. Both can work in groups and get you started and can be modified to your liking after the fact. Your all around good template for mage will be an alchy stun mage, but its hard to learn stun + magery + alchemy + pvp tactics altogether.

Alchy Scribe:
    100.0 Magery
    100.0 Evaluating Int
    100.0 Meditation
    100.0 Resisting Spells
    100.0 Wrestling
    100.0 Alchemy
    100.0 Inscription

Alchy Heal:
    100.0 Magery
    100.0 Evaluating Int
    100.0 Meditation
    100.0 Resisting Spells
    100.0 Anatomy
    100.0 Alchemy
    100.0 Healing

Boomclack and TrustyPatchez like this.
  4. toddyboi

toddyboi Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Heal stun if you're new to mage PvP, cheap template and it's a good defensive template to get used to the pvp game play here. Build an alchy mage later.

AreYouKidden and cups like this.
  5. GoD PaRtiCal

GoD PaRtiCal Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2016
    GoD ParTiCal
    Meh. Don't tell him to go with a run forever template. We don't need any more folks thinking that is real pvp.

6. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    SUPER PEAV LOL
    UO pvp has a steep learning curve. A lot of people never even try to learn it because they "just don't get it." I wouldn't play a heal mage either and it does bug me when I am in nocut trying to chase down four heal mages(shoutout to SMASH) but deaths can be discouraging and if people need to learn the fundamentals of pvp while playing a defensive template then so be it. The game needs more pvpers. Let them learn the basics on a heal mage and when they're ready to get more into technical pvp they will abandon their bandages and learn alchemy.

I agree with toddy on this. Boomclack, I'd start off with a heal mage and play that for awhile. Once you get the basics down and feel like jumping to alchemy give it a try and see how you like it. Also, if you plan to just group pvp then scribe mages are the best for that.

Lolzao and AreYouKidden like this.
  7. GoD PaRtiCal

Jun 2, 2016
    GoD ParTiCal
    Its going to be discouraging regardless of template on your toon to start off with - learning bad habits right off the bat won't make it any better. You could argue that stun is cheaper to train than alchy but let's face it, no person is going to learn to pvp solo, they are going to need help from a guild to learn the ropes and you might as well be useful for more than just surviving. You are not doing anyone favors by giving them a way to live but not deal damage -- they will just learn to run away and not fight.

8. toddyboi

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Derp

9. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    SUPER PEAV LOL
    When you are in a group of 5 or more or you are fighting multiple groups how often do you see purple pots thrown? At that point it's all who syncs better and heals better. It's not teaching bad habits either. That's like saying teaching a child to crawl first is a bad habit. We should just teach them to walk. It's a process.

10. GoD PaRtiCal

Jun 2, 2016
    GoD ParTiCal
    When in a group of 5 or more.... What about when it is 2v2 or solo? How about pvp tourney's or events?

I agree you can learn either way but the difference between someone that cares about pvping and someone that just flirts with it is their confidence in skills and knowing risk vs reward. If you play a template that is built to run away, you gain neither.

11. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    SUPER PEAV LOL
    Idk you talked about them relying on a guild I thought your hypothetical guild had more than 3 people. I think you're trying too hard to defend a bad position.

12. toddyboi

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Who says you have to run away on a heal stun? Very narrow minded view on this template... pooptart plays this templates and his able to be more offensive because he knows the bandie is going to heal the damage. Most of the players that die to him are so concerned about how low he is and try finish him off not looking at their health, boom bandie kicks in, his opponent is low with probably no mana and finishes them off. Just because you don't have alchemy doesn't mean you can't use them.

13. GoD PaRtiCal

Jun 2, 2016
    GoD ParTiCal
    Yeah and I use scribe for the offensive nature of it, but it doesn't teach well to someone who is new to PvP. You cannot take advanced tactics to a new player this way.

14. toddyboi

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Huh? Using a bandie to heal yourself while been offensive is advanced tactics? Lol. Alchy stun is the most advanced style of PvP... been able to throw pots constantly while casting spells is far more advanced than using a heal stun. You sound too salty about this template to actually give a unbiased opinion.

15. drasked

drasked Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Learn to play stun/alchy and you can play any template.

100 magery
    100 med
    100 eval
    100 resist
    100 wrestling
    100 anat
    100 alchy

GoD PaRtiCal likes this.
  16. ZoeyLove

ZoeyLove Active Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Zoey
    Learning to play a stun alchy in the field is the hardest thing to do in the game, I would not recommend starting there. Even the best stun alchy's on the server have 0 chance fighting 2 alchy dexxors unless they have 80 gheal wand charges and then they just die after they are out of charges. If you ever want to fight on a mage out numbered solo you have to play a heal mage. Period. Some of the best players on the server also play heal mages so I'm not sure where the inferiority of it lies.

17. drasked

drasked Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Solo i'm not a huge fan of heal mage since most proper players wont die to it. Also i think it's a lot easier to learn through stun alchy dueling since you can just "spam practice" that way.

But heal mage is very hard to kill and thus making it newb friendly, that is for sure.

18. khajja

khajja Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Khajja, Dakhath, Bakhtosh, Bhurak, Jabberwock, Sinistre, [Werkt]
    i don't get why some people in here are pretending that a heal mage can't throw purple potions. i throw just as many potions on my scribe and heal mages as i do on my alchy mages.

each template has its uses. what's the big deal?

19. toddyboi

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Read the title of the thread.

Boomclack likes this.
  20. Boomclack

Boomclack Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Boomclack, Dreadlord Kain, Raging Gnome
    Look all i am looking for is a very basic pvp template lol, I can venture into harder templates later on. Right now im running Fencing, Anatomy, healing, hiding, stealth, resist and tactics. Should i drop stealth for poisoning ?