"out of memory"

AlyM

Grandmaster
Out of memory. Out of memory.

You're telling me...
that I have 16 GB of memory
I have one Google Chrome browser open, with three little tabs... three, already completely loaded tabs...

....and I can't open UO?

You're telling me... That I just spent an ungodly amount of money...
...building a computer...
THAT CAN RUN THE BEST darn GAMES YET
AND YOU CAN'T OPEN
A
17 YEAR OLD GAME

.... Dear UO, you're not that damn important.
Grow up and learn your system requirements.

/endrant

Now I juts found that hilarious. And I honestly cannot open UO without closing Chrome.
Chrome is using only 600mb of RAM... My virtual paging size is plenty, but I'm upping it to see if it helps...
So let's discuss how UO thinks it is more important than any other program...

Earendur

Adept
If you are using UOSteam it happens to me when chrome is open as well, usually just have to close chrome out and re-open. :(

Malkraven

Grandmaster
happens to me sometimes aswell as @Earendur says i close my browser (firefox) and it works fine.

i put it down to a memory leak in the newest ver of UOsteam but idk

AlyM

Grandmaster
Now we're getting just mean...
I closed out of EVERYTHING and it still did it.
UO IS MEAN TO ME

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Now we're getting just mean...
I closed out of EVERYTHING and it still did it.
UO IS MEAN TO ME
I did it. It was me. I stole your memory. My name is Alzheimer's. Dont bother trying to pronounce my name, you'll forget it in a minute anyhow.
Now what was I... Hey look! A squirrel!
(Srs shit tho, that sounds lame as fuck. Given that others run less pc and more ram-heavy than you are running, its gotta be software side. Try checking for updates to any/everything you can think of, including drivers. If that doesn't work www.bestbuy.com .
Oh, and after you buy the new one, this is how you handle unresponsive electronics equipment....

Stimwalt

Neophyte
This is a general "catch" error message that the UO coders added, which doesn't tell the whole story, and is probably something like:

Try
{

Launch.UO.Executable;
}

Catch(Exception ex)
{

Message.Box.Show("Out of Memory blah blah");
}

So it doesn't show the actual inner exception stack within the code itself, and just spits out that string of text "Out of Memory blah blah".

Likely it is an incompatibility with how UO calls the system memory, and closing the web browser releases the memory cache, which would explain why closing your browser seems to "fix" it.

~Coder of things

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't chrome known for hogging insane resources?
I heard they are working on a fix for it but yeah, for a browser it's pretty crazy how many resources it will suck.

Stimwalt

Neophyte
It does use a lot of resources, but to the OP's point, I have 32 GB of system memory, and receive the same error, hence my diagnosis.

Of course I'd have to see the code, but that's not happening, ha.

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
Have you had your computer on for a long period of time? Keeping your computer on for days on end can eat up all your memory. Try shutting it down and let it sit for 30 seconds and then start it back up if that's the case.

AlyM

Grandmaster
Isn't chrome known for hogging insane resources?
I heard they are working on a fix for it but yeah, for a browser it's pretty crazy how many resources it will suck.
Yes it does use insane amounts, but the insane amounts are usually less than one gigabyte out of sixteen. So... you know, I would assume with little background processes and programs and blah de blah.. I should still have a TON of memory left...

Have you had your computer on for a long period of time? Keeping your computer on for days on end can eat up all your memory. Try shutting it down and let it sit for 30 seconds and then start it back up if that's the case.

No worries, computer is shut down at least every night. Usually shut down a time or two during the day too (It takes less than 30 seconds for a full shutdown and reboot since I use an SSD). When all else fails, a reboot will clear the memory completely and UO works :D

This is a general "catch" error message that the UO coders added, which doesn't tell the whole story, and is probably something like:

Try
{

Launch.UO.Executable;
}

Catch(Exception ex)
{

Message.Box.Show("Out of Memory blah blah");
}

So it doesn't show the actual inner exception stack within the code itself, and just spits out that string of text "Out of Memory blah blah".

Likely it is an incompatibility with how UO calls the system memory, and closing the web browser releases the memory cache, which would explain why closing your browser seems to "fix" it.

~Coder of things
It does use a lot of resources, but to the OP's point, I have 32 GB of system memory, and receive the same error, hence my diagnosis.

Of course I'd have to see the code, but that's not happening, ha.
I figured it would some kind of thing like that. But, like you, I can't see or fix the code, so I deal with it.
I deal with it by not playing UO
:D

Sadly. I "quit" long ago, but now I sometimes run vendors and decorate houses. I've not stocked my vendors in forever, I'm totally letting people down. I"LL GET TO WORK ON IT NOW!

account51

Master
It's been happening to me lately as well, I upped my virtual memory to 16GB and it worked. I recall reading on another server forum that it is the custom graphic files that load that cause this. Is that true?

AlyM

Grandmaster
Maybe UOF's custom graphics, but since I built this computer I haven't deployed any of my own custom work since Kareem no longer plays and I just play for prettys. Might as well have trees and junk floating around if you're just playing for pretty, right? Eventually I'll get my backpacks the blue I love <3