Guide: Inscription

halygon

Grandmaster
Inscription is a skill where you use scribe's tools to create spell scrolls, rune books, and BOD books. You will require the reagents to cast the spell along with a blank scroll in order to create them. Scrolls can then be added into Spell Books to create Full Spell Books for players.

If you do not have the resources to get to 50 by creating recalls, then you can go to a provisioner NPC and buy their little purple books. Right something in the book and close it. Now use inscription skill on them and target the other book. You should be able to gain until 50 by copying the book back and fourth.

Magery - Inscription Bonus - When a player has both GM Magery and GM Inscription, they will have enhanced Magical Reflection, Protection, and Reactive Armor spells.

Magic Reflection: 15 circles of reflect instead of 8
Protection: 75% ignore disrupt chance instead of 25%
Reactive Armor: Increase in amount of hits taken before becoming null

Only Skill Scrolls are available for this skill.

Training Method
0-50 Train from NPC
40 – 50 High 4th level scrolls or low 5th level scrolls. Recall scrolls are good as players will buy these.
50 – 60 Scribe high 5th level. Mark scrolls are good because again players will buy these.
60 – 70 High 6th level and low 7th level. Gate travel scrolls are good as players will buy these.
70 – 80 7th and low 8th level spells. These scrolls will sell to NPC vendors for around 200 a piece.
80 – 100 Energy Vortex scrolls. These are sellable in bulk to players.

Fitchy

Neophyte
Is there a Macro guide for this? I'm using a standard Macro but I keep having to go back every 5 or so minutes to switch to a new pen and ink set. Also I'm a lvl 58.7 Inscription making Mark scrolls, and I'm only gaining about .1-.2 per set of pens I go through making Mark scrolls. in the Newbie dungeon.

halygon

Grandmaster
Is there a Macro guide for this? I'm using a standard Macro but I keep having to go back every 5 or so minutes to switch to a new pen and ink set. Also I'm a lvl 58.7 Inscription making Mark scrolls, and I'm only gaining about .1-.2 per set of pens I go through making Mark scrolls. in the Newbie dungeon.
I have always just used a simple macro that uses by type the scribe pen and then uses the 'last' button on the scribe gump -- then loop it. I never had a problem with the pens. Did you make sure to use by type?

Too Legit

I personally did recall scrolls up until 58.5 (real skill) then jumped over to magic reflection scrolls (that will also sell well). I get much better gains with that then what you were showing with mark scrolls at that skill level. Once you have around an 80% chance to make a magic reflect scroll I would then move up to mark scrolls.

Hope this helps!

-Too Legit

kyleakira

Master
With Inscription you can make exceptional spell books... what is the difference between exceptional and regular spellbook? ty

Krenko

Is RA affected by what kind of armor you are wearing? On some other shards where I played a Scribe Dexxer you could only wear leather for RA to work.

halygon

Grandmaster
Is RA affected by what kind of armor you are wearing? On some other shards where I played a Scribe Dexxer you could only wear leather for RA to work.
RA is independent of type of armor worn. I use it on my scribe macer all the time.

Seleucid

Neophyte
simply drag and drop recall scrolls on top of your runebook inorder to recharge it :)
Thank you for your reply. I have some other problems like how to play booty island and finding vendors. Can yousuggest Thanks in advance! God bless.

Its probably worth noting that Inscription takes Mana so its best to have high Int and GM Meditation before starting, even if you ditch it later.

I'm learning this the hard way... took care of all my dexer skills first. Oops.

@halygon Hey Halygon, I am training Inscription on another Char now and I just realized something annoying about the macro, maybe you can help.

When the pen runs out and is deleted, no Gump appears so the loop gets stuck 'Waiting for Gump' and takes 5 min to time out.

I've tried deleting 'Wait for Gump' from the macro but then it screws up meditation - it will start meditating but when the Gump does appear it cancels it.

Any suggestions on how to improve efficiency? Thanks!

halygon

Grandmaster
@halygon Hey Halygon, I am training Inscription on another Char now and I just realized something annoying about the macro, maybe you can help.

When the pen runs out and is deleted, no Gump appears so the loop gets stuck 'Waiting for Gump' and takes 5 min to time out.

I've tried deleting 'Wait for Gump' from the macro but then it screws up meditation - it will start meditating but when the Gump does appear it cancels it.

Any suggestions on how to improve efficiency? Thanks!
You can change the timeout on the wait for gump command in UOS. It really all just depends on your UOS Macro for it if it checks for a new pen or what have you.

You can change the timeout on the wait for gump command in UOS. It really all just depends on your UOS Macro for it if it checks for a new pen or what have you.

I am using Razor. I worked it out by deleting the Wait for Gump and adding a longer pause (long enough for the Gump to come up).

On another note, now that I have a farmer, house, and some 7x chars set up for PVP.... is it worth making the switch to Steam before I re-learn how to PVP? I always used Razor back when I used to pay $10/month to play UO